• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibbs rifle by Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbane

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about getting into MLR target in a serious way, and wondered whether anyone had any experience or opinions concerning this Pedersoli product? Thanks.

Wolfbane said:
. . . I am thinking about getting into MLR target in a serious way, and wondered whether anyone had any experience or opinions concerning this Pedersoli product?

Good Morning. The Pedersoli Gibbs took the first 7 of 8 places at Oak Ridge this past October. (Second place was a custom Don Brown.) The match is shot at 300, 600, and 1000 yds. Six of the eight shot a paper patch bullet. The other two fired grease groove.

Regards,
Pletch

Had a chance to examine one at the Western Nationals and it is a beautiful piece. I passed on it as .45 caliber is not legal for elk in Colorado even though I feel that a heavy .45 conical would be a fine elk rifle. I'm not into Long range target shooting and for the price the guy wanted, I couldn't justify buying it to rebarrel for a hunting rifle. :(

An excellent rifle if you're looking for some serious target shooting. These are popular rifles with long range shooters and the only readily available match rifle I can think of suitable for the discipline. I've used mine from 100 - 1200 yards with the original sights and no special tuning, and picked up a few medals on the way.

Have a look at the Long Range Muzzle Loader web site and associated Yahoo!Groups discussion list to contact many users.

David

Hi David, what is the minimum amount of twist rate one would need for long range ML shooting with a .45 cal. gun? Thanks. :winking:

David, how does the Gibbs rifle compare to the Parker-Hale Whitworth in terms of quality and accuracy?

gmww said:
what is the minimum amount of twist rate one would need for long range ML shooting with a .45 cal. gun?
Most original muzzle loading match rifles were about 1 in 20; Henry muzzle loaders a little less at 1 in 22 and Metford used gain twist rifling.

The .45 cal Pedersoli Gibbs is 1 in 18.

There's been quite a lot of discussion on this topic on some of the BPCR forums and 1 in 18 seems to be favoured for .45 cal and long range work. I'd be looking at 1 in 20 minimum.

Russ T Frizzen said:
how does the Gibbs rifle compare to the Parker-Hale Whitworth in terms of quality and accuracy?
I've no experience of the Parker-Hale Whitworth so can't make specific comment. The barrel on the Gibbs is excellent. Criticism has been made of the quality of the lock by some, but I have no problems with mine; although the lock is not as good as originals I have tried.

The P-H Whitworth is a military style rifle, with straight grip and open sights. The Gibbs is a match rifle with pistol grip and aperture sights. To get them onto some sort of level playing field you'd need to upgrade the Whitworth sights.

The Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB have two matches on the same day in October at 600 yards: the Rigby Cup for match rifles, and the Whitworth Cup which is only open to Whitworths. There's usually several Whitworths in match rifle configuration in use. This is an interesting opportunity to compare Henry, Metford and Rigby (the most common match rifles used) with Whitworth. The Whitworth scores are invariably lower than those achieved in the Rigby Cup.

A Whitworth was however used to set a new MLAGB 200 yard National Record score earlier this year and a couple won medals in last years World Long Range Championships.

David

I have not had the Gibbs rifle, but I have had a P. H. Whitworth rifle, for several years, unwittingly I traded it off for something I thought I needed.....terrible mistake!
The Whitworth is an outstanding rifle, and can hold it's own with any rifle on the market.
90grs. 2f with card over powder, and a linnen paper patch 405 gr. lead bullet, will outshoot most rifles on the market today, custom, factory, or cartridge.
You have to see one being shot to believe, what they can do.
The rifle is heavy, and the length of pull to trigger is long.
I look forward to finding a good Gibbs rifle to see if it will compare.
Best Regards

Old Ford

There are also a few people who have bought Pedersoli Gibbs who have had various problems with them. David has mentioned the lock, the hook has been a problem on at least two other guns I know of. These problems are largely down to inadequate hardening of the parts. I personaly have had a rifling problem which I believe has led to fouling and I know of two other guns with similar problems. Pedersoli have had the barrel back and honed out most of the damage. It remains to be proved that the problem is sorted. It has been said that Pedersoli put a lot of work into the first batch of these rifles and seem to be less keen on quality control with the rest. When my rifle is on form it is a delight to shoot. It is a great disappointment to travel 400 miles to a match to then have to retire after 4 or 5 shots with a fouled barrel - again.

Old Ford said:
90grs. 2f with card over powder, and a linnen paper patch 405 gr. lead bullet, will outshoot most rifles on the market today, custom, factory, or cartridge.
What sort of ranges were you shooting with this load? The bullet seems somewhat light for long range work where 530 gr. is typical.

Interesting observations on it's shooting capabilities but does not tie up with results I have seen (see my earlier post). While the Whitworth set the benchmark, by the late 1860s it was being supplanted on the ranges by Metford and Rigby match rifles.

Old Ford said:
The rifle is heavy...
The P-H is actualy about right for a period target rifle, although it is still a few ounces under the 10lb weight limit of the time.

David

Thanks David and everyone. I have been mining the lrml website for information; I have much to learn, but it does look like fun.

I can vouch for Joe Hepsworth at Cunard. He is a fine gentleman and shoots the heck out of a Gibbs himself. He can also supply you with the platinum-lined nipple you MUST have to handle the pressures of long-range target loads without burning out and affecting accuracy. David Minshall's LRML site is pretty much the center of the universe when it comes to long range shooting with muzzleloaders. There's a wonderful bunch of folks there who are very, very helpful.

I had a 405 gr. spitzer bullet, and also a 500 gr. spitzer type.
Ranges were 100, 200,300 yds.
Just about any rifle will shoot 100 yds.
I say the rifle was a bit heavy.. I ment to carry it about as a hunting rifle. I used for two years on moose....very decisive, and hard hitting.
I also mounted a aperture sight front and rear.
Not very traditional to the Whitworth...but it did shoot well.

Best Regards

Old Ford

Old Ford said:
I also mounted a aperture sight front and rear.
Not very traditional to the Whitworth...but it did shoot well.
There's no problem with aperture sights on a Whitworth. These were popular target rifles in the 1860s and were equipped with such sights.

David

Hey, Mr. Gibbs fergot the ramrod. :shocked2: Otherwise it's a fine looking rifle. I have thought about making a fast twist Hawken for conicals for about 4 years now. So...the 1 in 18 is a good twist in a .45, huh?

Back