• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibbs good shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They simply dont hold up. I have a buddy that gave me a nipple out of some type of special metal. He could not remember what it was made from. He and another friend had been using them for years. Someone they knew experimented several years ago and made up quite a few of these, but they are not available for sale that I know of.

Platinum lined nipples will erode as well. I have had it happen a couple of times. When it happens accuracy can really suffer.

Fleener

Hi,
Question: Will stainless steel nipples not work as well? ( in the Gibbs, Whitworth or other like rifle )

Further the steel nipples, Pedersoli manufactures nipples made of beryllum, sold with the product code USA484 in a set of 3. VTI GUN PARTS may have them in stock

It's been a while since my Gibbs didn't shoot as well as it used to, now I understand why.

Attachments

• IMG-20201023-WA0045.jpg
    IMG-20201023-WA0045.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-20201023-WA0046.jpg
    IMG-20201023-WA0046.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-20201023-WA0047.jpg
    IMG-20201023-WA0047.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-20201023-WA0048.jpg
    IMG-20201023-WA0048.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 146
Corrosion of the metal, not for poor cleaning.
They told me it's a problem with the type of metal in the barrels.
Many shooters say the metal of the barrels is of poor quality.

Are the lines running R to L in the photos Rifling lands? Suggestions on Nipples.. If you can find a Fine Wire Drawing Company you may be able to Beg old Tungsten-Carbide die inserts with the size hole we need for our High Pressure rifles. They last pretty well. Recess an ordinary nipple and silver solder the pellet in place. Older type Silver Solders are best if you can find any. No longer available this side of the Pond as it has some Nasty in it to reduce the melting temp.. OLD DOG..

Thanks David. Gibbs L/R match rifles I always thought were associated William Ellis Metford's Patent..
Despite Pedersoli's marketing as a reproduction "of one of the most famous rifles in the field of the precision target shooting, made in 1865 by the English gunsmith George Gibbs," they have omitted the key distinctive element. The original match rifles by Bristol gunmaker George Gibbs had Metford's gain twist rifling - it's more of a generic full match rifle of the period. Marketing is a strange game; in the same blurb they also refer to the rifle being fitted with Creedmoor sights. So we have a British match rifle of 1865, marketed as Gibbs, but not using the original makers form of rifling (Metford gain twist), and offered with an American style sight of nearly a decade later (the US Creedmoor range did not open until 1873).

I have no complaints with mine and have won many trophies with it - it is a great rifle to enter long range muzzle loading with. Not in the same class (or price!) as an orignal Gibbs-Metford though.

David

Instead of coming here, I wish that I could go to Italy and visit some of those very old weapons companies. My grandparents were born in Modena. Me and Pavarotti would have been buds.

Latest posts

Back