• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortimer Witworth .451 Rifle vs Gibbs .451 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2mars

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can some one give me a good comparison between these 2 rifles? Will they both shot the same conical bullet? I want to get one of these, but I don't want to mold my own bullets. I've read that the specialized .451 bullets purchased at muzzleloading-bullets.com work great in the Mortimer Witworth and the price for 50 is very reasonable. Will these bullets also work in the Gibbs also? Thank you in advance!

Yes. Both 45 fast twist for conicals.
I believe the Mortimer is 1:21, Gibbs 1:18 twist.
Mortimer Whitworth is not a Hex bore, only the name Whitworth is used - this rifle was made for International shooting competition ‘Whitworh match’ to 200yds.

Yes. Both 45 fast twist for conicals.
I believe the Mortimer is 1:21, Gibbs 1:18 twist.
Mortimer Whitworth is not a Hex bore, only the name Whitworth is used - this rifle was made for International shooting competition ‘Whitworh match’ to 200yds.
Thanks for the reply,!

The Mortimer-Whitworth is primarily intended as a short range rifle. 'Whitworth' in this case is derived from the name of the MLAIC 100m prone match (all MLAIC short range events are named). There's several versions of the Gibbs made now, including one with the same twist as the Mortimer for short range shooting. The sights on the Mortimer are only suitable for short range.

I'm not familiar with the bullet company you mention, but a quick look at their web site shows grease grooved bullets .45 cal and 495 grains. They should perform well in each rifle (assuming good fit to the bore) at short / mid range - but most shooting the Gibbs (long range rifle) will be using bullets 530 grains+.

David

The Mortimer-Whitworth is primarily intended as a short range rifle. 'Whitworth' in this case is derived from the name of the MLAIC 100m prone match (all MLAIC short range events are named). There's several versions of the Gibbs made now, including one with the same twist as the Mortimer for short range shooting. The sights on the Mortimer are only suitable for short range.

I'm not familiar with the bullet company you mention, but a quick look at their web site shows grease grooved bullets .45 cal and 495 grains. They should perform well in each rifle (assuming good fit to the bore) at short / mid range - but most shooting the Gibbs (long range rifle) will be using bullets 530 grains+.

David
Thanks for the reply David!

Back