• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taylors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. It's me again Margret re. an 1857. It was months before I could find one - a Pietta from Taylors. New on Gun broker for $375. My question is, do guns imported by Taylor mean anything significant? I've heard they get the best of the Italian products. I'm sure it is not "Taylor tuned," as some of their offerings are, but I'm wondering if I should expect a better than average reproduction than Pietta's off the shelf at a local gun store.
Also, I've considered sending it somewhere when I get it to go over it, tune the action and timing. Do any of you know a good place to do that?
Bedtime here in the red state of Florida, 0100 hours.
Kind regards to all,
Mikey "Bullseye" Gibbs.

Mike, not sure what you mean by 1857, but Taylor's tunes a bunch of their guns, it's an option for certain guns on the website. If they don't offer that on the specific model you can send it to Goon's Gunworks, or one of several other people that offer those services.

Taylor's guns are, in my opinion, better than most: you get what you pay for.

Before you send it out and swap parts liberally oil the action and shoot it: they usually perform well.

I spent 20 years in your state and enjoyed shooting there very much.

Nope. There myths surrounding this subject but there is absolutely no difference between the guns you get from Taylor's versus those from Cimarron, Dixie Gun Works, Stoeger, etc.. Any difference observed can be attributed either to the era in which it was made or variations between individual guns.

Nope. There myths surrounding this subject but there is absolutely no difference between the guns you get from Taylor's versus those from Cimarron, Dixie Gun Works, Stoeger, etc.. Any difference observed can be attributed either to the era in which it was made or variations between individual guns.
I've heard this too. I bought an Uberti 60 army last spring from Dixie gunworks. Other than the customary slick up and arbor correction its been a fine revolver. It's become my favorite c&b revolver

I've been dealing with Taylors for more than 20 years as my favorite muzzleloading shop, Dixon's, gets most of their new pistols from them. What I can tell you is I've never encountered a substandard or "second" gun from them and the people at Taylors have been pleasant to deal with.

Taylor's guns are, in my opinion, better than most: you get what you pay for.

Before you send it out and swap parts liberally oil the action and shoot it: they usually perform well.

I spent 20 years in your state and enjoyed shooting there very much.
Yes, you've gotta 'break 'em in' a bit first before doing any expensive tuning work.

Back