• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting there!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brit, question on the over/under does one hammer have a longer nose on it, the ones I have seen (very few) the hammer or cock on the left side is longer in order to reach the nipple. Just curious, I have a sweet spot for the doubles either O/U or side bye side.

Actually went back and looked at the pic. of the gun seems it has a long bolster on the right side, am I correct, and do you need to do any thing different to insure reliable ignition for the bottom barrel. # 10 or 11 caps.

Actually went back and looked at the pic. of the gun seems it has a long bolster on the right side, am I correct, and do you need to do any thing different to insure reliable ignition for the bottom barrel. # 10 or 11 caps.
The bolsters are the same length.
The bottom barrel breach plug has a threaded stud drilled at an angle towards the right bolster.
20210130_114740.jpg

It acts to encourage powder towards the right nipple.
I've had to modify mine to improve powder flow.
I have found that a little tamping the butt helps. Failing that no matter what cap is used will NOT fire the barrel!
In my opinion the flash channel in the stud is to small and more of an issue than its length. When being loaded and the barrel vertical, powder should reach the nipple if the channel was a little larger. As is it can suffer from bridging but is better since opening up the hole....which I may do some more.

Interesting set up, wonder if a machinist or some one good at welding small items could add a extension to the cock, actually make it longer that way a regular drum, nipple configuration would perhaps help with the ignition situation. Just thinking.

Forgot does any one make a magnum type cap, that also may help. I know from loading un-mentionable ammunition with the magnum rifle cals. the large magnum rifle primers are a bit hotter, therefore delivering more fire from the primer into the main charge, thus allowing for a even burn on the larger powder charge. But also increases the CUP pressures but I do not think this would be a problem when shooting black powder. Hope Zonie does not get excited, but in my 45-70 BP rounds I use magnum rifle primers for this reason, they are compressed loads with wadding before placing the bullet in the case, the loading procedure is basically the same if loading a muzzle loader only in a case.

Quick search Brit, CCI and WINCHESTER does make magnum #11 caps. If you can find them might be worth a try.
I have a good selection of caps and some are definitely hotter than others but in all honesty that is treating the symptom.

Once the gun is vertical for loading the powder will flow right upto the nipple IF the breach plug and stud are drilled and shaped correctly!

The potential is all there. Just got to extract it. Shouldn't have to but hey, welcome to the modern world!

Great, sounds like you got it figured out, good hunting.
Actually I hadn't figured it out but something you said got me to think it through better!
I have been using an old vintage 250 tin of Joyce percussion caps only the tin is mixed with all sorts of caps. Some very old and some new. Some large and some tiny.

So yesterday after having still yet more misfires I did a small experiment.
I asked my wife to listen to me discharging four caps outside and tell me which was the loudest.
I put ears on and stepped into the dark.
"#4" she said and I agreed. #4 also had in the dark a much brighter flash! #4 was from my stash of new RWS caps. It made the old caps look like something for a child's toy!

So today things went straight to 100% ignition. Not one misfire so thank you Appalachian hunter for stating the obvious to this here tight wad!
20210206_154553.jpg

20210206_132258.jpg

Today's tally was 3 squirrels, two missed crows (🤦‍♂️) for 8 shots. No misfires.
B.

You are definitely welcome, When presented with a situation such as you were facing I try to take a step back and look at all the issues that could be the culprit, a lot of time it is really a simple thing. Glad it worked for you. Happy hunting.

Miss fire are only caused by wrong loading has I said before always load with the hammer down loading with the hammer at half cock causes a void I bought my pair in the 1980, for which I customize them but they still have the original nipples. If the nipples are the same in todays guns then they will have a large hole through the nipple so if at half cock when the charge is rammed home powder is blown out of the touch hole and leaves a avoid , if loaded with the hammer down when putting on the cap the powder is there to the top of the nipple and always fires . Has I have said before I can fire a 100 plus shots without a misfire. The only thing to watch with the nipple is that the nipple holes does not get too large because it will end with the hammer blown back to half cock. This is one of the main faults on this type and rarely happens but there are others faults also so it is better to customise them.
Feltwad

P1010005.JPG

Miss fire are only caused by wrong loading has I said before always load with the hammer down loading with the hammer at half cock causes a void I bought my pair in the 1980, for which I customize them but they still have the original nipples. If the nipples are the same in todays guns then they will have a large hole through the nipple so if at half cock when the charge is rammed home powder is blown out of the touch hole and leaves a avoid , if loaded with the hammer down when putting on the cap the powder is there to the top of the nipple and always fires . Has I have said before I can fire a 100 plus shots without a misfire. The only thing to watch with the nipple is that the nipple holes does not get too large because it will end with the hammer blown back to half cock. This is one of the main faults on this type and rarely happens but there are others faults also so it is better to customise them.
Feltwad

View attachment 62573
I'll take your word that loading the guns you show in the picture work fine if they are loaded with the hammer down but, for many of the modern reproduction rifles made today, I disagree with you.

Many of these modern guns use a chambered breech with a very small, long flame channel hole that connects the bore with the bottom of the percussion cap or the vent hole in the case of a flintlock.

These very small flame channel holes can greatly restrict the loose black powder and prevent it from getting to the area at the bottom of the nipple.
When this happens, the flame from the cap or the pan must travel a long distance to get to the powder load.
If it doesn't get to the powder, it results in a misfire.
Loading with the hammer down on the nipple greatly reduces the speed that the air below the patched ball or over powder wad will travel. This reduced speed will blow very little powder back thru the flame channel to the nipple.

I can count dozens of cases that I've seen where muzzleloading shooters were having a lot of misfires due to loading their guns with the hammer down.
When they took my advice and loaded their guns with the hammer at half cock, allowing the maximum amount of air to blow thru the nipple, their misfire problems went away.

There is always those that know and those that think they know , carry on I am out of here .
Feltwad

There is always those that know and those that think they know , carry on I am out of here .
Feltwad
And you are one who "thinks" you know.

The problem was solved with using different caps, and yet you still come out with this arrogant know it all statement,
Miss fire are only caused by wrong loading

Apparently other things can cause a misfire.

Getting reliable ignition now with the Beretta Beretta centennial but alas I failed to get a pheasant before the end of the season but did get squirrels.
View attachment 61245
One squirrel came down the tree still very alive and Jess gave chase but it slipped her soft mouth and made for down a hole. Jess went straight in after it and when I got there the dog was in so deep I couldnt see her! With a struggle she wriggled out with squirrel in mouth still alive. Jess soon ended it once on top.
Here is Jess, squirrel and hole.
View attachment 61247
Now, although I've succeeded in getting reliability that involves a little tamping of the butt on the ground I seem to struggle with wing shooting! I'm not sure what is going on just yet but at some point I'm going to have to do some testing.
Maybe under some pigeon coming to roost on a windy night i will learn more.
looks like a great hunt :)

Back