• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting rid of lead oxide on shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've come into some old shot that has been sitting around in open cans for years. When I poured it into some shot bags there was a lot of lead oxide dust floating around. I'm not worried about dying tomorrow because I was in the same county as the dust but is there a way to get rid of it? I know shooting it out of my smoothbore will do the trick so maybe I'll leave it at that but I would like to make the shot look better for esthetic and social reasons.

Run it in a vibratory tumbler with some used dryer sheets very lightly dampened with a few drops of mineral spirits. Check on it every 10-15 minutes and replace dryer sheets as necessary until the shot looks good. If you want it re-graphited, remove the contaminated dryer sheets, let all the mineral spirit film flash off, put a couple puffs of lock graphite in and run it a few more minutes.

That sounds like my kind of solution. It's about the only place that I can think of lately that wearing a mask might be a good idea if I do something other than just loading it up and shooting it. I patterned my new 58 smoothbore today with some heavily oxidized shot and it patterned really well. I think maybe the oxide helped.;)

Meh, just stand upwind when pouring it down the barrel and don't wrap your soup vacuum around the muzzle to blow out the barrel after the shot. The dust will get turned into lead sulphate, carbonate, or some other compound and blown downrange

Put powder and wad in bore. Pour in a fair amount of shot. Ram down an overpowder wad. Cap or prime your gun and pull the trigger. No more oxidized shot!

Latest posts

Back