• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting a parts gun ready for the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
In our ML club we were blessed to have a lot of old timers who had been match shooting since the 1950s. These guys were simply following a tradition that never completely died out. As an example there’s a local ML shoot that has been an annual highlight since the end of the Civil War. One of our most esteemed members, Bob Favier, passed away recently. He was a fine shooter who took a lot of meat home over the years, with guns he put together from parts here and there, and barrels he rifled himself or re-cut the rifling on. He taught me how he freshed barrels.
I purchased a heavy-barreled percussion rifle from his estate. He had one focused goal when gunbuilding and that was to make a shooter while spending as little as possible. He was not about following a style or tradition. This rifle has a thick, 32” long, .45 caliber barrel of a gun made in Troy, NY in the 1840s or so. It has a back-action shotgun lock and set triggers he made himself. He stocked it in thick walnut and hung a TC guard on it. Right in his style wheelhouse. Weighs 11.2 pounds, just about right for a light bench gun. I prefer a longer sighting radius but we will see how this works out.
I unbreeched it and the rifling was rough. The muzzle was cratered. There were deep potholes in the bore. Over the past few days I recut the rifling. It’s now a .46 and the rifling is almost perfectly clean end to end. I have a .451 round ball mold so no worries. Tomorrow I’ll check it on the range. If I ever get to be half the shooter Bob was, I will be satisfied.
18372FBB-BFE6-461F-95C8-2080435B37DD.jpeg
8FBD2B29-3A40-4880-9029-A24B3C1C74EC.jpeg

Shot it today at the range. I’m having some patch cutting which is not unusual in a newly re-freshed barrel. I’d get a couple shots pretty close then a flyer. I was using .451 balls. Next time I
6E5F7CAA-C538-42E8-9325-BA33231C8F99.jpeg
will see if I can get .454s and try them out.

Oh, you can use it, no worries. Last night I made a new front “lift” spring for the set triggers. The original was too light.

I decided the existing crown needed to be cut off. This gun is not much good unless it’s as accurate as it can be. So I cut a little over 1/8” off the muzzle and re-crowned it. Hope to get to the range to test it soon.
C5E4B005-1A30-4469-896A-16B576A94325.jpeg
EC1175FE-5BCB-4009-88E0-D3354D797926.jpeg

Back