• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Galesburg, Illinois Heritage Days

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here will be attending this event August 20-22. This will likely be my first event doing any sort of rendezvous/reenactment and it would be good to talk to some folks!

Don't know where you're at in Illinois but Fort de Chartres is coming up in about 3 weeks, it's one of the best in the midwest you would enjoy it.

I just looked up where Gailsburg is on the map that's a pretty long haul to the Fort would be a bit more than 3 hours.
I'll be driving down there on Sunday for a day trip and I live a little south of you on the Missouri side of the river. It normally takes me about 2 hours to get there.

Y
I just looked up where Gailsburg is on the map that's a pretty long haul to the Fort would be a bit more than 3 hours.
I'll be driving down there on Sunday for a day trip and I live a little south of you on the Missouri side of the river. It normally takes me about 2 hours to get there.
Yeah most likely if I go it will just be for a day trip. I don't have any historical camping gear yet.

Just curious if anyone on here will be attending this event August 20-22. This will likely be my first event doing any sort of rendezvous/reenactment and it would be good to talk to some folks!
Have fun sir, that's what it is all about. Participate what you feel comfortable with since this is your first. Happy shooting.

Have fun sir, that's what it is all about. Participate what you feel comfortable with since this is your first. Happy shooting.
Thanks! I'm sure it will be fun. It's an event I've attended for years but am finally getting to participate!

I did have all the camp set up but I'm getting too old to set up camps anymore, got rid of my tents about the only things I kept were my cooking gear.
I'm sure I'll get it all eventually. Thankfully I only live about 20 minutes drive from Galesburg so I can spend both days there without camping.

I'm sure I'll get it all eventually. Thankfully I only live about 20 minutes drive from Galesburg so I can spend both days there without camping.
If possible camp, that is part of the fun. Any way you do it....have fun.

Yeah I would love to camp, I think they only allow historical campsites in the area. Maybe by next year I'll have a tent and such.
There are a number of rendezvous in the Illinois area. Most have what they call the "primitive" camp, and the "tin" camp.
If you're looking for more rendezvous in the state, go to talkingbear.com

There are a number of rendezvous in the Illinois area. Most have what they call the "primitive" camp, and the "tin" camp.
If you're looking for more rendezvous in the state, go to talkingbear.com
Thanks! Didn't know about that site!

There's one coming up in Missouri on the 25-26 of Sept it's put on by The Trappers of the Starved Rock at Boone's home historical site in St. Charles county. For you, that would only be half the distance as Fort de Chartres.
Honestly, you really don't need a lot of gear to get started. A white canvas tarp set up as a diamond shelter is good enough, other than that all you need is a bedroll and a little cooking gear.
That's the way I started at first but I was only 35 at the time and sleeping on the ground wasn't a big deal... :)

Last edited:
There's one coming up in Missouri on the 25-26 of Sept it's put on by The Trappers of the Starved Rock at Boone's home historical site in St. Charles county. For you, that would only be half the distance as Fort de Chartres.
Honestly, you really don't need a lot of gear to get started. A white canvas tarp set up as a diamond shelter is good enough, other than that all you need is a bedroll and a little cooking gear.
That's the way I started at first but I was only 35 at the time and sleeping on the ground wasn't a big deal... :)
I'll have to keep that one in mind too! And yeah I am still at the "don't mind sleeping on the ground" age. It's more the heat for me that makes it not as enjoyable. I'd rather camp with snow on the ground than 90 degree heat, but I can deal with it, and it's still fun regardless!

Back