• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fusil de chasse?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
And anybody tell me more info about the fudil de chasse I never study much on flintlocks til just lately and I am wanting to know more about the fusil de chasse thanks

The French Trade Gun in North America 1662-1759 Paperback by Kevin Gladysz (Author)

I had the same questions awhile back an found this book on Amazon, everything you ever wanted to know about french smoothbores an lots of pictures, I like pictures!!!

This is my current one. I have owned at least 5 it is by far my favorite style of smoothbore. Im a little Biased I was born and raised in what used to be New France.

They were used well after I have seen several originals here in maine converted to percussion . That being said very few if any were brought to North America after the French and Indian war

It is my understanding that although LA was ceded to Spain in 1763 that the French continued to administer over the area for about five more years. Did they continue to import French guns during this time? :idunno:

Oudoceus said:
It is my understanding that although LA was ceded to Spain in 1763 that the French continued to administer over the area for about five more years. Did they continue to import French guns during this time? :idunno:

Yes. In fact, French guns continued to be imported into Louisiana (territory, not state) almost up to the year 1800. See Hanson & Harmon, Firearms of the Fur Trade for discussion of this, and an example of the type of gun imported. There's a great quote from the MacKay-Evans expedition up the Missouri (1790s), with the Omaha telling them that they wanted English guns, not French ones that burst in their hands. Seems the quality of French trade guns went down later in the century.

Rod

jrbaker90 said:
And anybody tell me more info about the fudil de chasse I never study much on flintlocks til just lately and I am wanting to know more about the fusil de chasse thanks
The Fusil de Tulle In New France 1691-1741 by Russel Bouchard is an excellent little book. It has information not only about the de chasse fusils but also about the Marine muskets, and the Grenadier muskets also made at the Tulle armories.

Back