• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

61 Uberti and my mindless ramblings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl1200a

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently purchased a new 61 Uberti Navy. I wanted a Pietta however I could not find one anywhere online.
I do not know if Pietta has discontinued this model or if it's just a temporary thing.

The only reasons I wanted one of these is first, I did not have a 61. I really like .36 caliber and the convenience of using .0000 buckshot for ammo. I think this is the best looking C&B pistol ever produced.

Upon receiving the gun, the first thing I notice is all the goo, gunk, oil, whatever it is the gun had left the factory in. This gun could have set on a shelf for approximately 5000 years and I am confident it would look the same. There literally was this goo running off the gun.

Taking the gun apart my observations. Tolerances on the gun are TIGHT. The internals, along with the goo was the biggest collection of metal shavings I have ever encountered on any firearm I have purchased. After a good douching with carb cleaner, followed by soap and water I give all the parts a closer inspection. No apparent rough spots in the castings that need smoothing..... Wow a first for me with an Italian repo. I cannot find drag marks anywhere, or anything to tweak.

Now the fun part.
As in my previous new Uberti purchase, the nipples will not budge. I have never had this issue with Pietta's. Maybe just lucky, but I've purchased 6 or 7 new Pietta's and never had an issue removing the nipples.

On my previous Uberti I ruined two cheap nipple wrenches. Finally made a wrench out of a socket soaked for days in Sea Foam Deep Creep and managed to get those out.

So into the Deep Creep the cylinder goes, and my search for the nipple wrench I made years ago. After hours of searching I find it. A mini victory if you saw my gun room. Now I'm ready to remove the nipples. Nope, can't hold the cylinder in my hand and remove them, it turns, I can't hold it tight enough. So into the vice the cylinder goes, nice tight fit with the socket to the nipple, give it a good twist.... snap. Broke the socket.
Ok, I'm ******.
Get online and order Track of the Wolfs nipple wrench. Cylinder goes back into the Deep Creep.
Fast Forward three days.
Nipple wrench arrives. Put cylinder in vise, grab new nipple wrench, nipples wont budge. Ok, walk away and get a drink. I have a habit of screwing things up when their not going right. Have another drink decide to give it another try. This time I decide to give the nipple wrench a little wrap with a hammer directly on top. Presto. Nipple number one comes out. A mini victory, time for a drink. Repeat 5 more times and nipples are removed. I would like to thank Sea Foam, Track of the Wolf, and Makers Mark at this point.

What I would like to know is does steroid laden Luigi install these things or are they machine installed at 140 ft lbs of torque? Two Ubertis and two near identical experiences with the nipples.

Reassemble the gun. This is the best looking gun I own. I'm really surprised over the trigger. This is the BEST out of the box trigger of ANY firearm I own PERIOD. It's quite impressive. 2lbs 3oz, not even a hint of creep, and consistent.

Time to shoot it. I load 18 grains Goex to start
with .0000 (.380) ball. Now everything I have read says these things shoot notoriously high.
From a rest, standard 25yd pistol target, 5 shots, 6 o'clock hold

Ya just gotta luv it when it all comes together. After all the bad we hear about Italian revolvers it sure is nice to hear some + comments. Seriously I recommend you not buy a lottery ticket, you have just used up an entire year's allotment of good luck. :grin:

I have heard that all the Italian makers install the nipples, then blue the cylinders. I had the same problem with a Remington made back in the 70s and went through several wrenches too. I just slapped a friend of mine who is Italian and to this day he doesn't know why. :grin:

bpd303 said:
I have heard that all the Italian makers install the nipples, then blue the cylinders.

I put the cylinder in boiling water for 20 min that removes any bluing salts.

It also makes the blue much more durable but does dull the shine a bit on the blue.

William Alexander

In the late 60's Dad came home with a Replica Arms 1861 Navy. I grew up firing, cleaning and maintaining it, and Dad finally gave it to me about a year ago. I have a few other Colts and Remingtons in both .44 and .36 cal., but the old (Uberti) 1861 is still the standard I judge all my others against.

I often shoot an 1860 Army with fluted cylinder & shoulder stock, and it draws attention, as does my 2nd Model Dragoon, but the comments about beauty are only heard when viewing the 1861 Navy.

Nice looking gun and cool that it shoots to point of aim,a real bonus that does not usually happen.
I have the little brother five shooter pistol in the 62 police.
They are very sleek looking guns indeed.
Mine needed a lot of work to bring it up to speed and was a Navy Arms gun so I don't really know who actually built it.............. possibly Uberti.

Glad to hear you got the pesky nipples out of it and it's shooting as well as it is.

Something all you folks need to keep in mind:

Putting your revolvers cylinder into a vise is asking for problems.
A good vise clamping directly on the outside of the cylinder can easily crush or scar it up.

To keep the cylinder from turning when your trying to remove nipples, get a couple of pieces of 5/16" (for a .36 caliber) or 3/8" (for a .44 caliber) dowels, pieces of steel, aluminum or brass rod, or long bolts or threaded studs.

Put one of these in one chamber and the other in the furthest away chamber.

Clamp the dowel/rod/bolt/stud directly into the vise jaws and your ready to apply the torque needed to get the nipples out.

Happy shooting! :grin:

These nipples would snap dowels...... :grin:

Let me rephrase, before putting in vice, cylinder was protected with leather padding and in machinist block.

Yes, Guido does install the nipples and the barrel wedge with pneumatic tools. I have the Pietta version of the 1861 and I love it. Next to my 1851 navy my 1861 is my best shooter. I love the power of my .44 revolvers but my .36's seem to be more accurate.

Don

bpd303 said:
I have heard that all the Italian makers install the nipples, then blue the cylinders. I had the same problem with a Remington made back in the 70s and went through several wrenches too. I just slapped a friend of mine who is Italian and to this day he doesn't know why. :grin:

Damn, I like that !!

Zonie said:
Glad to hear you got the pesky nipples out of it and it's shooting as well as it is.

Something all you folks need to keep in mind:

Putting your revolvers cylinder into a vise is asking for problems.
A good vise clamping directly on the outside of the cylinder can easily crush or scar it up.

To keep the cylinder from turning when your trying to remove nipples, get a couple of pieces of 5/16" (for a .36 caliber) or 3/8" (for a .44 caliber) dowels, pieces of steel, aluminum or brass rod, or long bolts or threaded studs.

Put one of these in one chamber and the other in the furthest away chamber.

Clamp the dowel/rod/bolt/stud directly into the vise jaws and your ready to apply the torque needed to get the nipples out.

Happy shooting! :grin:

Great tip,,,thanks.

The trigger on my Uberti is very good as well. I did not expect such a good trigger on a reproduction.

When first disassembling either a Pietta or Uberti the easy trick is to use a small impact driver with a properly fitting Brownell's hollow ground bit and a hammer. Take up the slack and one sharp whack does the job on the screws. For the nipples just line up two brass rods in the vise and drop a couple of chambers on them. Fortunately I have a nipple wrench made from heat treated steel and a tap on the top as it is turned. Nipples and screws are put back firmly tight with a dab of anti size on the threads. All you are doing is putting things back together. It is not a steam fitting max torque operation.
WB

The Uberti '61 Navy is high on my list even though I have a Uberti '51 Navy.

They're just the best looking revolvers ever. I did have the Pietta version years ago.

I take a hardwood block, bore a hole through it the diameter of the cylinder, saw it in two length wise, put either a piece of leather or powdered rosin on the block hole, insert the cylinder, clamp in vice and your good to go in safely securing the cylinder.
I'd use a bit of heat on each cone(no you won't hurt the steel or blue with a propane torch) then with a good fitting nipple wrench they will each break loose in turn. The heat expansion breaks the oxide bond with nipple and cylinder.
You cannot heat a cylinder hot enough with a common propane torch to effect any heat treat change in it and you don't need any where near that high of temperature any way.

The Uberti '61 Navy is high on my list even though I have a Uberti '51 Navy.

They're just the best looking revolvers ever. I did have the Pietta version years ago.
You probably meant to add “next to the 1860 Army model” I’ve always liked the fit, finish and dimensions of the Ubertis, the newer ones are even better, except for the wood...

Back