• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fryed taters and ramps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
crisp up a few slices of bacon, fetch out the meat.
add a few chopped taters and sizzle stirring ever now and then until begin to brown. toss in a few chopped ramps, salt and pepper and fry until taters are browned and ramps well wilted. crack 2-3 eggs in and stir until done.
with a biskit you've got a fine meal.

Sounds like a good dish. Can you describe the taste of ramps? I've never tried them. Are they like onions?

Spence

George said:
Sounds like a good dish. Can you describe the taste of ramps? I've never tried them. Are they like onions?

Spence
Yeah, me too. Even looked it up and besides the sloped walk it said "rear up on hind legs"!!??? Now I'm really confused! :haha: Texans have some odd name for a lot of stuff, but this is a new one! :rotf: Still sounds like home fries! :wink:

Did a Google search here you go;

RAMPS

A member of the onion family, ramps, or wild leeks, have a pungent garlic-onion flavor. This vitamin C-rich allium inspires spring festivals in Appalachian states and sells out quickly at urban farmers’ markets.

You have just missed all the WV ramp fests going on this year. Look it up. I ain't been there in mennyayear buttttt it'ssss stil goin on ever sprang usual in Aprall.

My grammaw had em growin in her garden in Meadow Bridge WV (where I was born 80 years ago). I transplanted some to eastern VA about 50 years ago but they didn't take. MT can't grow em neither. Guess I'll have to go back some day.

Ramps are a type of wild onion. The ones that grow farther north are milder while those that grow here in Texas tend to be a bit strong for my taste. I have tried cooking with wild onions here in Texas and they were too strong and a bit bitter for my taste. Perhaps, if a person cut back on the amount of wild onions he puts in a dish, it may be a bit more palatable. Lacking a supply of wild onions, one can just substitute green onions chopped up. While they are not exactly the same, they will do the job.

It's still warmer than it was when I was a kid, but this last winter came close to what I remember. NOAA's pics from space still show some ice on the lakes. OTOH I'd likely be a puddle on the sidewalk in your area in August.

Wild leeks is what we call 'em up here and if you eat 'em raw stay downwind of me or else share and we'll both stink. :grin: I got a bag of last year's stock in the freezer and I know what's on for supper tomorrow. :thumbsup:

It blows my mind that people lived there before A/C was invented. My wife's G G Grandfather John B. Dawson and Charlie Goodnight ran the first cattle drive across the llana estacado to the Pecos and then north to Denver. Me I prefer the cold. I can dress to stay warm.

Inasmuch as I'm quite COLD-natured (& run a low blood pressure), the heat doesn't bother me much. = I cannot remember EVER being warm outdoors at Ft Drum OR Ft McCoy from September to June.

IF it's HUMID & >90 degrees, I start thinking about turning on the AC. - Dry heat doesn't bother me.

yours, satx

Gerard Dueck said:
It blows my mind that people lived there before A/C was invented. My wife's G G Grandfather John B. Dawson and Charlie Goodnight ran the first cattle drive across the llana estacado to the Pecos and then north to Denver. Me I prefer the cold. I can dress to stay warm.
Part of the remedy down here is gettin' nekkid!

Texas translation:
Naked...having no clothes on.
Nekkid...having no clothes on and up to something! :wink: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back