• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Friendship, In

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesZ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been to a shoot at Friendship?
I'd have to drive about 1600 mi roundtrip. Would it be worth it?

If you want to see the most and best in traditional black powder guns , venders, and "shoot the bull" it will be worth every mile! If you just are curious you could find other things to do closer to home.

To travel that far. The best time to go would be the spring. I just came back from the fall shoot and there were about a quarter less people than in june. If you want to see how you compare to other shooters, Friendship is the place to shoot.

It would be worth it if you had more than just that reason to travel there. The first two days of the shoot, Saturday and Sunday are the best if you are looking to purchase supplies. Some of the vendors clear out as early as the first Monday. A venue far closer to your neck of the woods that at times offers the same fare is Dixon's in Eastern Pa., check their websight, I think they have some similar events coming up in the fall.

It's about a 600 mile round-trip for me and I just got back from my second trip this year. :grin:

I agree with the other guys.

The best time to go is the beginning of the June shoot. More vendors(especially in the primitive camp) and a bigger crowd too. And some vendors are gone after the first weekend.

There can be found almost anything one would want or need that has to do with muzzleloading. Guns, accessories, accoutrements, parts, supplies, clothing, books, craft supplies, etc.

If you want to shoot just about ANY kind of muzzleloading match you can think of, and test your skill against other shooters, Friendship is the place to find some competition. There is not enough time in the 9-days to shoot every match so plan on staying as long as you can if you want to shoot a lot of matches.

If at all possible, and reasonable drive.
Every serious 'BLACK POWDER" shooter should try and get to Friendship, at least once ( primitive of course)
In one location you will see the best and economical traditional black powder equipment you can find any where.
I've been there twice, years ago, and to this day is some of my fondest memories.
If you don't go soon, chances are you will miss it all.
Best Regards

Old Ford

In June and last weekend, I saw an retired guy at Friendship who lives on Long Island. He camps in his van, so I don't think you could hitch a ride, but there are others in attendance who come from Back East every year. You'll love it.

I have never been to Friendship, but I plan on going next year. Not only do I want to shoot, I want to get involved in the knife and tomahawk throwing contests. I practice every chance that I get and I hope to be pretty good at it by next year.

I've been going to Friendship off and on since 1971. Have had many good times there over the years.
Finally made it down Wednesday for the first time this shoot, went back yesterday and bought a 20ga. Tulle from Tip Curtis, (have been wanting a smoothbore for years.)
Back to Friendship though, it's changed a lot over the years, but still well worth the trip.
Hopefully by the spring shoot I'm set-up in the primitive area and shooting a few primitive matches like I used too.
Wayne

I went Thursday. A good time had by all :) :) Lots of great shooting. I am going back tomorrow (Sat the 19th) with several grandkids in tow for a social day with a little shooting of course. :thumbsup: A distance of about 300 miles roundtrip for me. I've been going off and on since 1965 and recommend it highly. :)

Friends have been asking me to go for a few years, I finally gave in and went in June. It's like xmass for BP shooters. Also I got lucky and came home with a couple of "50" patches and a gold medal in Woodswalk. 1,500mi. round trip!

A gang of 4 of us from the UK included 2 weeks at Friendship over the Fall shoot as a warm up for the World Champs at Camp Atterbury NC. We had 2 trailers in the park and had a great time. All the staff from the guy who fixes things up to the girls in the office and all the range officers were really good to us and Steve Swallow made us very welcome at his trailer in the evenings. There was plenty of advice from other regular shooters on the quirks of the range especialy from Bob who knows it like the back of his hand. We shot every day for 2 weeks, I got to know Tip Cutis and his son Mike who were also very helpfull, we did the traders market and the flea markets,I picked up some beautiful native american jewelry for my wife.
The folk in town at the bank, the tavern, the gas pumps all made us really welcome.
Yes you should go and yes I'm going back just as soon as I can organise it.

Back