• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Friend brought this for me to work on.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb30

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Any ideas on age or maker. No marking anywhere including under barrel. 12 LOP to front trigger, 32 in barrel 5/8 straight. About 28 cal. Weight 5 lbs. Pewter fore end cap. He shoots with 25 cal cast bullets. I am replacing the brass bolt they have in place of pin on barrel. It is hooked breech.
kid.JPG
kid2.JPG
kid3.JPG
kid4.JPG
kid3.JPG
kid4.JPG
kid5.JPG

I would agree with Phil... It's a very nice old Midwestern rifle. With the lightweight barrel, small caliber, and short LOP, possibly a "boy's rifle." People appreciated nice wood even back then, and that stock has some figure. The hooked breech would also add to the cost, so it must have been built for a person of some means.

I would guess post 1850 on the date. That particular style of trigger guard seemed to enjoy a surge of popularity in the mid-19th century, especially on rifles from the Midwest and, oddly enough, rifles built in California. There were also rifles built in Philadelphia specifically for the California trade which used that type of trigger guard. We discussed this in a recent thread concerning Dimick rifles.

With no markings on it, I would not venture to even guess who made it. It is a nice old rifle, though. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

Thank You for your replys. Will mowing I suddenly realized I should take measurements and tracing before I return it. It would be really be nice to make one like it for my nephew who is now just a toddler.

What I can't figure out is the screw on the back of the lock. The inletting stops the lock from moving vertically. I would think that screw would somehow hold the rear of the lock solid to the stock. Or was it to stop the wearing of the lock in the stock when the hammer was being cocked?

What I can't figure out is the screw on the back of the lock. The inletting stops the lock from moving vertically. I would think that screw would somehow hold the rear of the lock solid to the stock. Or was it to stop the wearing of the lock in the stock when the hammer was being cocked?
No rear lockbolt so lock slides under screwhead to hold it down. Tail of lock has basically 1/2 of a counterbore to slide under screwhead.
@jsb30 knows his stuff! The first photo in post #1 shows that little "half-moon" cutout for the screw head in the tail of the lock plate. It also gives a terrific view of the innards of a back action lock.

We hope to see pictures of the "boy's rifle" if you decide to build it. That should be an interesting project.

Notchy Bob

Looks to me like you have a late Ohio rifle with a typical back action lock. Not uncommon, used by many builders. More likely 70's period.

Back