• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French rifle questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see a lot of English and German rifles and we see the fusil de chasse. With there being french west in Arkansas and Louisiana. What rifles would they have carried? Sorry about my ignorance on the subject.

I'm far from an expert but from what I've read the French really loved smoothbores. I don't think rifles had any real prevalence during their time in North America.

From what I have read, probably the closest you will get in the Americas are the Lehigh Valley type guns. Many French Huguenot exiles and their descendants practiced gun making in that area.
Robby

France didn't have a rifle culture.
After the American revolution Europe was given a taste of what could be done with rifles on the battlefields. The English and several German states concentrated on a rifled arm.
When Napoleon came to power the French had experimented with some sort of rifle, but Napoleon nixed the whole idea. And never deployed any rifle troops.
Until the Minie guns France didn’t seem to have any intrest in rifles. And in the end we can question if pre minnie rifles really had an effect on warfare in Europe.
Napoleon did do well against German troops who had rifle corps, and against the English there wasn’t any place it seems rifle corps turned the tide of the battle.
I don’t recall ever seeing a pre minie French Rifle, civilian or military

I see a lot of English and German rifles and we see the fusil de chasse. With there being french west in Arkansas and Louisiana. What rifles would they have carried? Sorry about my ignorance on the subject.
The French weren't big into rifles, especially for the export market. St Etienne was a large producer of export fusils, both for the colonial civilian trade as well as the fur trade. These guns varied widely in workmanship, decoration, and finish and were always smooth bored. Popular calibers were in the .60-.66 range, some being as large as .69.

Kevin Gladysz wrote a detailed book titled The French Trade Gun in North America 1662-1759 which is unfortunately out of print. If you can find a copy somewhere on the used market, get it. Otherwise there's always interlibrary loan. (The book is in English, so don't worry about that.)

In his book he lists the categories of trade guns found in merchants ledgers, estate inventories, the King's Storehouse, and various Canadian archives. Some of the descriptions he found were
  • fusil ordinaire (common gun)
  • fusil de Saint-Etienne
  • fusil de traite (trade gun)
  • fusil à l'ancre (anchor gun, so called for the anchor engraved on the lock plate)
  • fusil fin and demi-fin (fine and semi-fine gun)
  • fusil de façon, demi-façon, and fusil de maître (fashionable, semi-fashionable, and master made guns)
He thus dispenses with the old, confusing C, D labels which archaeologist T.M. Hamilton used to classify and categorize his findings. Fragments of these guns have been found from Michigan to Texas.

Back