• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French and Indian War movie,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that a Christian-themed movie produced by a Christian film company with the stated mission of bring the Christian message to the masses is the only movie in the history of the Academy Awards to have an Oscar nomination rescinded on ethical grounds.

Spence

I watched this with my wife the other night and we both enjoyed it. You just have to have appropriate expectations and appreciate it for what it is.

Neither of us like movies with excessive profanity, sex, violence, etc., and we are Christians so we are used to sacrificing some of the quality of Hollywood blockbusters in exchange for a more wholesome sort of movie. That being said, this one exceeded my expectations.

As a father with young daughters I found the plot to be very moving. I got a little misty eyed thinking about my girls being in that situation. I thought the acting was decent. I didn't care for the older version of Barbara but I thought her younger counterpart was good. If you focus on the positive elements and tune out some of the quality issues it really is a decent film worth watching.

fischereco2 said:
I got a little misty eyed thinking about my girls being in that situation. I thought the acting was decent. I didn't care for the older version of Barbara but I thought her younger counterpart was good.

This is why I said the movie is NOT for young children -- the situation is a true story and, think about it, very serious and very scary. Thank goodness it is past history. At least in this country. For now.

As for me, I remember thinking young Barbara was OK but adult Barbara...

...now she was fine!

:wink:

Claude said:
vtbuck223 said:
...can people change their profile name or do something else to go back to 0?
Members cannot change their Display Name or their number of posts.

Thanks Claude.

Hermdog....1 post in 5 years...how does that even happen? I find that to be the most interesting aspect of your comments...and again the fact that this thread pulled a response out of you. I'll expect a reply within the next 5 years! :grin:

Spence, is that right? You're not making that up!?

If true, OMG! Of course it'd be an excuse to thwart the grass-roots voting because the producers of this film dared to more than allude to the fact that some people had faith in a god (spellcheck here capitalizes this though I do not mean the proper noun) vs. the state or nobler primitives' mother earth, wind, and fire 250 years ago...

Details please!

You would be more confident of the facts if you researched them yourself. It involved the theme song, not the movie, and is part of the public record.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks No Deer -- you are a gentleman and a scholar.

As for their story, methinks the reporting inadvertently reveals the truth...

"Their hymnal song is featured in an independently produced faith-based feature about 18th century colonists struggling to survive [left out? 'the depravities of Native American raids'] in the Ohio Valley. It was performed in the film by Joni Eareckson Tada, a prominent, quadriplegic Evangelical minister."

Who would have even known this from the film itself? Damn but is Hollowood and the Left warped!

Alden said:
Damn but is Hollowood and the Left warped!
A fellow who is almost certainly from the hard right cheats, gets caught and is punished, and it's the fault of the Left? I don't think I'm ever going to figure how this whole ideology thing works.

Spence

Spence, not sure how or why you'd speculate on the award-winning musician's political perspective but if you do a little research you'll find that the gentleman did nothing unusual but customary. As he said:

"I'm devastated. I indulged in the simplest grassroots campaign and it went against me when the song started getting attention. I got taken down by competition that had months of promotion and advertising behind them [emphasis mine]. I simply asked people to find the song and consider it."

This was selective enforcement of some arbitrarily applied philosophy about something that goes on all the time by a Hollowood Left-wing cadre. To think that an established and renowned past Member of the Board of the Academy and current music Executive Committee Member sending out an e-Mail to a couple of hundred people didn't understand it was acceptable is absurd. Who would know better than he!? I'm not actually defending him but...

On the other hand, to the undeniably low-information liberal Hollowood elite, this film won't be able to say that they were nominated for an Academy Award now and "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom has 25% fewer songs to compete against. This was a convenient excuse for them. But of course the ends justify the means, by any means necessary, and...

...it was for the chidren. The CHIDREN!

Well, my take on it is different than yours, but if we're not careful we'll be talking politics and religion, which are verboten, so I'll sign off.

Spence

You're the one that brought it up :shake: ....just saying.

Political manure and namecalling should be left out of all posts except for the 3 forum areas specifically set up for it in the Premium Member area.

It has no business in the other forums topics and it detracts from the writings being made.

... and now BACK to the movie ...

Well, the family and I watched it, including my young 11-year old and not one of them knew the 'back story' of the film, i.e., backed and promoted by those with religion.

They all LOVED the cinematography and we were all uniamimous in that we wished some of the scenic vistas stayed on screen a tad longer. There were scenes like these i the "Black Robe" too, which had incredible Fall colors on cinematic display.

One other point were all noted were that some scene transitions were rather abrupt. The Indians speaking were too much 'speakum likeum dis', but not sure I/we would have really noticed it if someone on here didn't point it out here 1st. I noticed some scenes were better/worse in regards than most.

My little one knows that I love this period of time and didn't wince at the scene violence, shown or implied. She even commented ... "We weren't there and it was a quite different time, so we don't know what really may have happened or what the Indians might have experienced to have them do that, act like that or respond like that." Smart girl she is ...

I thought the clothing and villages looked great, but as far as arms, I saw more trim longrifles than I saw Tulle-type Fusil de Traite trade muskets the Indians preferred.

But overall we really enjoyed it and I recommend it for family viewing!

vtbuck223 said:
Finally saw it. Glad I bought it...I will lend it out to family....but it will probably be awhile before I watch it again. The scenery was nice and fairly well shot. The acting and other concerns are very commensurate with the budget....though a few good performances...I guess it would be hard to outperform your script. Still...it is a good movie...and for me the faith aspect was integral to the story...and really a strength of the movie...not something to be overlooked. As has been pointed out...the song at the end was very nice. I like the fact that I could watch this with my 13 y/o daughter...the problem is...I don't have a 13 y/o daughter. However, my wife can't stomach a lot of violence in movies...even when it is "historically accurate"...she would never watch "Black Robe" with me for instance...so that was good...she didn't leave the room.

So...overall....I would give it a rating of: Powder horn half full! Which is better than half empty...but not as good as 3/4 full or full. :grin:

I would still like to see a very well done...adult film from this genre...but I am not holding my breath.

As far as Follow the River. It has been awhile since I watched it...probably need to take another look. It is a Hallmark movie. Still...in comparison to "Alone"...it has a little..."star power" if you will...in Sheryl Lee, Ellen Burstyn, Eric Schweig.
As a movie on the redemption style if offended on the Christian content one needs to do research by reading actual redemption stories written at the actual time.

Next time don't watch it when you do not agree??

This movie was more Historically correct than any others in this time.

nhmoose said:
vtbuck223 said:
Finally saw it. Glad I bought it...I will lend it out to family....but it will probably be awhile before I watch it again. The scenery was nice and fairly well shot. The acting and other concerns are very commensurate with the budget....though a few good performances...I guess it would be hard to outperform your script. Still...it is a good movie...and for me the faith aspect was integral to the story...and really a strength of the movie...not something to be overlooked. As has been pointed out...the song at the end was very nice. I like the fact that I could watch this with my 13 y/o daughter...the problem is...I don't have a 13 y/o daughter. However, my wife can't stomach a lot of violence in movies...even when it is "historically accurate"...she would never watch "Black Robe" with me for instance...so that was good...she didn't leave the room.

So...overall....I would give it a rating of: Powder horn half full! Which is better than half empty...but not as good as 3/4 full or full. :grin:

I would still like to see a very well done...adult film from this genre...but I am not holding my breath.

As far as Follow the River. It has been awhile since I watched it...probably need to take another look. It is a Hallmark movie. Still...in comparison to "Alone"...it has a little..."star power" if you will...in Sheryl Lee, Ellen Burstyn, Eric Schweig.
As a movie on the redemption style if offended on the Christian content one needs to do research by reading actual redemption stories written at the actual time.

Next time don't watch it when you do not agree??

This movie was more Historically correct than any others in this time.

NHMoose...I'm not following your quote of my post as relates to your response....maybe a little brain worm... :wink: LOL??? I think if you read my responses you will see that I generally liked the movie...and found the faith aspect to be inspirational. ????? And...yes I have read many books and original accounts of Indian captivity????? Again...how does your response relate to my posts?

The post was not against you sorry but it used your name.

It was against those complaining of the Christian content that no matter your or their belief is PC?HC correct. In my library I have several books written as a redemption of the time meaning reprinted from the period. I am humbly Sorry you took offense it was not meant that way.

Back