• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Freekin' Frizzen Frustrations!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea I had not considered! My idea was to re-case the whole frizzen with bone and wood charcoal at a much higher heat to infuse carbon into the ES-70 low carbon filler rod. The thinking was the high carbon frizzen steel would not be effected while the filler steel would infuse and be able to resist the flint abrasion.
I will quench with oil instead of water to lesson cracking and warping potential.
I would dearly love to get this frizzen working so Kevin could test it out on his gun and we could see if major repair is actually feasible with cast frizzens.
In thinking on why it cracked in the first place and again above my weld, I was wondering if this peace may have been burned(over heated) while being initially cast thus making it grainy and weak. I saw no evidence of a pre-crack before it broke off on Kevin after hitting the floor from the wire wheel. Mike D.

M.D. said:
My idea was to re-case the whole frizzen with bone and wood charcoal at a much higher heat to infuse carbon into the ES-70 low carbon filler rod. The thinking was the high carbon frizzen steel would not be effected while the filler steel would infuse and be able to resist the flint abrasion.

IMHO, the carbon will enter the high carbon portion of the frizzen at about the same rate as the area welded with the low carbon material.

IMHO, the extra carbon, absorbed by the high carbon steel will help that frizzen spark like a sparkler on the 4th of July.

Good luck
J.D.

What JD said, and during heat applications, the most common reason for steel to crack is uneven cooling. You can reduce the grain size and strengthen the frizzen by normalizing before hardening.

Back