• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frankenstein build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellow flinters:

I have acquired a new Green Mountain muzzleloader barrel that is 1", 1:66, 37" long and has a hook for a TC Renegade (or 1" barrel Hawkin) in .54 caliber. It also has a RMC touchhole liner, sights and the underlug.

I have all the TC Renegade hardware.

I have a RPL Lock for a TC Renegade.

While I currently have a new TC Renegade stock I am most interested in one of the full-length replacement stocks that are available and claim to be 98% pre-inlet.

What are your opinions on the feasibility of putting these parts together and ending up with a useable full-stock rifle?

Putting together a usable rifle would be pretty easy as long as the pan on the lock is correct in relation to the touch hole. After that, then all the questions are about your skill to assemble the rifle in a full length stock. I would think the possibility for a quite nice rifle is good.

Many here have done something similar, especially as a start in the adventure of building a muzzleloader.

Kansas has it pin-pointed, the touch hole and pan must align, and if that is evident, then you can proceed to build a fine rifle. :thumbsup: Good luck! :hatsoff:

I am most interested in one of the full-length replacement stocks that are available and claim to be 98% pre-inlet.

Um...., more like 70%.

I have been scrounging parts, and I have an aftermarket Bess SLP stock, a Jap barrel, an unused Pedersoli Bess lock, a "trumpet" front ramrod thimble, a forged ramrod, and a Pedersoli nose cap. Going to try to fashion a Frankenbess with some additional parts. Going to try for a civilian-made copy of the Bess that might have been found in The Colonies.

LD

Sparkitoff said:
Fellow flinters:

I have acquired a new Green Mountain muzzleloader barrel that is 1", 1:66, 37" long and has a hook for a TC Renegade (or 1" barrel Hawkin) in .54 caliber. It also has a RMC touchhole liner, sights and the underlug.

I have all the TC Renegade hardware.

I have a RPL Lock for a TC Renegade.

While I currently have a new TC Renegade stock I am most interested in one of the full-length replacement stocks that are available and claim to be 98% pre-inlet.

What are your opinions on the feasibility of putting these parts together and ending up with a useable full-stock rifle?

Got a Renegade with .52 bore (GM 38" barrel) and it's heavy enough for me to consider it a bench gun.

You are going to end up with about twice the value of the gun in it after you get done.

I built a Renegade from random parts with a L&R RPL lock. Fitting the lock was a nightmare and I have done several scratch flintlock builds, two from precarves and a TC Hawken kit. I had about $420 in the parts and two weeks work, I was lucky to find a buyer who would give me $400 for it.

LIYIpP3.jpg

Here is the RPL lock inlet after I finally got the lock in. First I had to move the barrel back to get the touch hole in the right place. I had to remove a ton of wood, drill a new lock bolt hole, you can see how far off the new hole was from the original. I had to grind off the back of the hooked breech to keep it out of the new bolt hole and file off the side of the breech to let the pan sit tight on the barrel.

TbT7r9M.jpg

The end result was perfectly placed, that is a big allen head liner and not the actual touch hole. The touch hole is centered and at the sunset position to the pan.

ArUafkT.jpg

My advice its to make up a gun with your Renegade stock and see how it goes, It will be good practice if nothing else. Although I have never used the TC replacement stock you mentioned I have used a precarve from the same place, forget 95% on the inlet, you will have to have several guns under your belt to pull it off.

I used a Renegade stock and a TC Hawken pre carved half stock with L&R RPL flintlocks and GM Barrels with TC style breech plugs. Very little to get the lock inlet or aligned but had to get experienced help w the Hawken butt plate. Also used iron trigger guard on both and iron butt plate and nose cap on the Hawken from the Hawken Shop.

Renegade is a .54, Hawken has .54 and .40 barrels. Good shooters all.

Get a pre-carve stock that only has the barrel channel inlet. That way you can make everything fit the way you want. I did it with an assortment of parts and it worked well. Take your time, stop before you make a mistake, ask questions here.

Actually, here on the forum is a good place to get build questions answered but anything along those lines should be asked in the Gun Builder's Bench area.

The Flintlock, Percussion, Smoothbore, etc. etc sections are for talking about shooting the gun.

I'm sure you all understand. :)

Back