• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler with wedged barrel instead of pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
How common would it have been in 1750 to 1770 time period to have a fowler with a wedged barrel vs a pinned barrel? :idunno:

Hi,
If it was English, very common, much less so if made in America. If English, the barrel would also most commonly have a hook breech and tang (standing breech).

dave

If American with a wedge, the breech plug would be solid with a bolt in the tang threaded to the trigger plate. This is consistent with the 1803 Harper's Ferry and the Deringer trade rifles.

Hi Grenadier,
That is not entirely true. Two of the most famous long rifles from Bucks County (by Andrew Verner and John Schuler) are smooth rifles with flat barrel keys and hooked tangs and breeches. One of the most famous J. P. Beck rifles made during the 1780s has keys and a hooked tang and breech. Most American made guns made during the 18th century that used barrel keys did not but some did. During the time period indicated by SMO, an American-made fowler or rifle with keys (with or without a hooked breech) would be very rare. However, it would be very common on British-made guns during that time.

dave

And in addition it is important to note that British imports were many. A look in Jim Mullins' book "Of Sorts For Provincials" will show 3 examples of British import grades that were available. .....1. Is a trading gun which was the equivalent of our modern cheap break open single shot, 2. Is a good example of a lower end fowling piece with loop pins and standard breech and 3. Is a brass mounted run of the mill English sporting gun by Bumford, carved, engraved, loop keyed and standing breech. Still not a high end piece and probably a representative of what was available at the stores for a fellow of average means.
With a mercantile economy like as in VA, these pieces were readily available for purchase.

Thanks all :hatsoff: So not so common if made on this side of the pond unless it was assembled from imported parts. Doesn't sound like much has changed over the last 250 or so years. :shake: I may go on with the wedge keys anyway it just make more sense to me to build a fowler with a turkey choked barrel and have a second barrel of the same profile for smooth bore round ball matches. I have been looking at some of the Clay Smith's builds done with keys a I like them. :thumbsup:

Hi Smo,
In your case I would install the barrel keys but also include a hooked tang and breech. That will make swapping out barrels must easier and not risk chipping the barrel tang inlet.

dave

Who built it for whom? Hudson Bay Company for the Native trade, most likely pins.

Local maker for local customer; whatever the customer wanted.

Back