• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fourth range session with Deerstalker .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liam_g

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, had my fourth range visit with the Deerstalker .54 percussion. Things are coming together!!! Thanks to everyone for all the ideas, advice and suggestions.

First of all, I discovered that .535 balls shoot a lot lower than .530 balls! Second, I discovered that this rifle absolutely *loves* a .535 ball, .01 ox-yoke lubed patch, and a wonder wad over 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. Here's a three shot group from the bench at 25 yards measuring just over .5 inches:
25_yard_rest_small.jpg

I also did some shooting with conicals, the TC Maxi, one of the Buffalo Bullet conicals, and also the Buffalo Ball-et. All shot well, but nothing approaching that .535 prb load.

I also started working on offhand shooting, which I haven't done in 20 years! It went okay ... I caught myself starting to flinch with the heavy conicals ... here is a target offhand at 25 yards with three shots of that prb load circled on top, and four shots with the TC Maxi on bottom:
25_yard_offhand_small.jpg

Obviously, I have some work to do!!! I won't have a benchrest in the woods on my hunt, I know!!! But it's a start. I'll concentrate a lot on offhand and 'hunting situations' in my remaining 4 or 5 range sessions before elk season opens October 7th.

Again, thank you all for the help!!!

Respectfully,
Liam

Not bad. I hardly ever shoot at a deer offhand, i always try to find some sort of natural rest, a tree to lean the barrel againsr, a limb to rest across, a stump, something. Only do offhand if nothing else is available.

Liam, that's one fine looking group you have there. I'd say you have a sweet shooting rifle and found it's sweet spot.

Rebel said:
Not bad. I hardly ever shoot at a deer offhand, i always try to find some sort of natural rest, a tree to lean the barrel againsr, a limb to rest across, a stump, something. Only do offhand if nothing else is available.

Yeah, I hope to not take an offhand shot. I'll use some sort of rest if at all possible, but I'd also like to know at what distance I can reliably hit within 6" offhand.

Thanks!
Liam

Liam, Your shooting fine for elk right now, just remember ... make your first shot your best shot, don't rush to get it off, sit,kneel or use a rock or tree as a rest and you'll fill your freezer. Aim small, blow a big hole! :thumbsup:

Like a lot of the people here, I seldom take an off hand shot. I have a walking stick which although sounds simple enough will really make a difference when shooting. Granted it is something else to carry, but I do not find it all that much a burden.

When out on stand, I usually have a set of shooting sticks. With shooting sticks I practice a great deal and have found them a real benifit for accuracy.

My off hand shooting days have really suffered. I don't remember the rifles ever being this heavy in the past... :grin:

It looks like you have a real good shooter there. Good luck with your rifle.

looks like you got it with the RBs, the load book shows a 405 gr maxi from Lyman mould # 540619 with 80 grs Goex 2f to be the target bullet. You might find something like it to try at least the wt. but with the RBs unless your punching Elk at 100 plus it looks like your ready to go. Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back