• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found my old Handgonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well after an inspiring post I read on here last night, I got the gumption to go dig out my old Handgonne and knock the rust off and out of it . I bought this thing from a fella over on another gun forum years ago. I just never did anything with it. I think its time. I believe it to be homemade and it is steel of some sort. A very nice job if it is. It has a thick knurled band around the breech section. It measures about 54 cal, but I believe there is enough to it that I could bore it to say .75. Any suggestion on what to do to it is greatly appreciated. Can some of you post pics and dimensions to your tiller (handle). Thanks for reading.
KIMG0576.jpg

KIMG0572.jpg
KIMG0573.jpg
KIMG0574.jpg
KIMG0575.jpg

You might try this from Lowes and under $10. I sanded, stained, and woodburned it. Just a little tapering to fit the gonne socket and a liberal dose of JB Weld and I was in business. A couple coats of neutral shoe polish finished it off. Good luck.
IMG_20240317_162119_166.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419-155701.png
    Screenshot_20240419-155701.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Yeah I plan to bed it with JB Weld Epoxy. I also plan to cut the head off of that bolt and file some grooves in the bolt to give the epoxy something to hold on to when I epoxy it into the handle. I called my friend down at the Grits / Saw Mill and he told me to come on down and we will turn one out of hickory. This place is amazing. Its like stepping back in time. He has a Stone ground Grits mill, Black Smith shop, Saw Mill, wood shop, old school smoke house, meat room, and there is a huge garden plot and livestock in the back. If you are ever in Leesville SC stop by Gantt's Stone Mill. You will be glad you did.

Last edited:
I went down to the Mill today to turn down a piece of Hickory on the Lathe. But when I walked into the shop I saw a piece of Purple heart laying up in the corner, it was about 2' x 2". I asked my buddy about it and he said I could have it. He said it should make a great handle as its as hard as Hickory probably even tougher. Only problem was it wasn't 5 feet long. I used it anyway it made my Handgonne 43" total length. It seems to be long enough to get it comfortably away from my face. If not I'll put a longer tiller on it later. I brought it home and sanded it tto 320 and put one coat of BLO on it and this is what it looks like. That wood is too cool looking. SO, I guess I have a Handgonne Carbine :D I was informed that the mill also has a metal lathe and he said he could put me a bigger hole in it if I wanted.
KIMG0579.jpg

KIMG0580.jpg

I got to the Fireworks store this afternoon and got myself three 15 foot rolls of 2mm safety fuse for a whopping $2.50 each. And a couple packs of 2 hour punk sticks. And of course the touch hole is too small. So now I need to get a 27/32 drill bit which of course I don't have. Tomorrow may be the day.
Hooray, Huzzah, Yipeekyoh! No matter how you pronounce it, fun is spelled handgonne. I'm expecting my fuse tomorrow or Friday. Keep us posted.

SHEEW WEEE!! THAT'S MORE FUN THAN A BARREL OF MONKEYS!!

I drilled my touch hole to 5/64 this morning, which is real close to the 2 mm fuse I bought. But the fuse still would not go in the hole. So I got my handy little bolt diameter card out and that fuse is perfect for a 3/32" hole. But I didn't want to drill the touch hole any bigger. SO, we just touched it off with a punk stick.
In short, WE DIDN'T HIT A DANG THING LOL!! Well yes we did, I shot at 25 yards and a total of six .530 balls on top of 35 grains of FFFg powder with a pillow ticking patch lubed with Beezwax and tallow rammed on top to keep the ball from rolling out and to lube the bore. Two of the balls went high and lodged in the 2x6 above the target. That charge was really a cream puff. But I didn't want to start out with a big charge being I didn't know what to expect or if the Gonne would hold together. I'll play with it some more and figure out a point of aim and get them at least on the paper. Maybe even try a patched ball. And my short tiller did not prove to be too short to me. So that part is a keeper.
KIMG0584.jpg

Back