• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fort Boonesborough, KY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I had to take my wife to her Cousin's wedding in Ohio. We made the best of it and hit several historic sites between Georgia and Cincinnati. One was Fort Boonesborough. One of the cabins contained several period muzzleloading firearms and accoutrements. On the wall was a British Brown Bess musket. I was glad to see that. I think that smoothbores, surplus military muskets in particular, are way under represented at Eastern Frontier forts and events. I wasn't there, but I am sure that after the French and Indian War, both British and French muskets could probably have been much more easily obtainable than the beautiful rifles I see in everybody's hands. In fort defense and close fighting with Indians,30 - 50 Yards, I would think that a fast-loading musket either with tow and shot or a single ball, a musket could actually have some advantages. What do y'all think? :hmm:

At Prickett's Fort here in West Virginia, we've got a Bess, a Charleville, and a Pennsylvania rifle on the wall. Quite a few of the militiamen that served there saw service in the eastern armies, and a few of them probably walked home with their issued weapons. (A common lament of commanders). The fort was used from 1774 all through the 1780s. Kudos to Boonesborough. A lot of times we're educating folks about the period in general, as its many's only exposure.

As an interpreter of the militia side, it's useful for me to have examples of a few different types of arms so I can explain the advantages/disadvantages of each, as well as their possible origins.

That rifle exhibit will be up until Oct 31st. There are 22 rifles and 2 pistols on display, along with some original accoutrements. (Levi Morgan's horn, for instance). It's a gorgeous exhibit, all WV made.

Wednesday's in September have hearth cooking demonstrations. I believe in September they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Weekend of October 16 is a pretty big artisan show, then the weekend of the 22nd is Native American weekend

I would strongly recommend a fall trip. Besides the cool things going on in October, it has been mighty, mighty hot within the fort's walls recently. We're all looking forward to fall there for a few reasons, not least of which being how purdy it'll be there

Back