• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

forging trigger guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowcsp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just starting to forge my trigger guard and butt plate. my question is what size of iron would you start with on a virgina type guard.

Real Iron ? Where in the world did you find real Iron? Or are you working with mid steel? Either way, the thickness doesn't much matter as the skelp cand be thinned or thickened at the forge, in fact unless you like to grind or file a lot, thinning some parts and "gathering" other parts is part of the forging process. To answer your question, if you are forging, I'd start with 1/8" material.
John

I start with 1/2" sq. hot role for rifle trigger guards. The thick part at the front of the bow is the hard part to forge. It's easier to thin the rest than to gather at that point. At least for me anyhow but, I aint no blacksmith.

I like forging butt plates. I start with 1/8 hot role and I cut it to shape first. I had to a mess up a few before I figured out the shape. The top is wider and longer than you think.

Bruce Everhart

I made one from 3/8" sqaure... but really to get the lump in the front of the bow 1/2" I think would be better.. I was just starting to run out of metal when you are cleaning it up. The rail can be made from 3/8" smaller stock fairly easy tho..

thanks guys that is kind of what I thought but wanted to find out for sure. I tried three or four guards with 1/2" flat stock but had a heck of a time with the flat part of the bow. do you guys pin and solder the rail to the bow thanks.

I used 3/8 and it worked pretty well but it was for a more petite gun. I pin n solder mine too.

And then there are the extrordinary craftsmen that forge a single piece triggerguard...they claim it's simple and takes only three splits....and no welding....a cigar box full of "experiments" proves I haven't mastered it yet...
John

Back