• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For those that use loading blocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Gregory

32 Cal
Reaction score
For those of you who use loading blocks when hunting, what patch lube are you using and how do you keep it from drying out when it is in your block? I use olive oil on my patches and load them with a ball in my loading block and the patches dry out within a day or so. What do I need to do or what lube to use to keep this from happening?

What everyone else said +1. Once you get the board sealed or saturated with lube you shouldn't have much problem. I use deer tallow or bear oil + bees wax or winter lube with mink oil and don't have a problem with patches drying out.

Like others, I have no drying out issues(for as much as a few weeks) when pre-lubing the block. Make sure that the holes in the block are well sealed, and that the fit has sufficient clearance as to not overly compress the lubed patch/ball, and, the patched ball can be loaded and removed from the block with light-moderate finger pressure. I use TOTW Mink Oil.for a patch lube.

For those of you who use loading blocks when hunting, what patch lube are you using and how do you keep it from drying out when it is in your block? I use olive oil on my patches and load them with a ball in my loading block and the patches dry out within a day or so. What do I need to do or what lube to use to keep this from happening?
Teflon patches.

Latest posts

Back