• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow up to water jug test. Successful Hunt!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken1980

40 Cal
Reaction score
Made it out for some hog hunting. this morning.
Nailed a decent boar at 20 yards in a full run through the neck. With the 50 caliber Kibler Colonial.

Buddy put a second round in him.
before I could get to him.
90 grains of fffg went right through his neck.
I think I’m done with modern hunting for now and sticking to flintlocks.

my two boys got a hog each.
(modern guns).
My youngest got his first.

Attachments

• B77FB083-79CF-47EE-9C4C-0D5DB981175D.jpeg
    B77FB083-79CF-47EE-9C4C-0D5DB981175D.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DB410C88-4306-4D37-B61A-410F45B66C66.jpeg
    DB410C88-4306-4D37-B61A-410F45B66C66.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 539AD93E-18EA-409F-AB79-0E96918726F5.jpeg
    539AD93E-18EA-409F-AB79-0E96918726F5.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have any feral hogs around where I live. I wouldn't mind hunting them but I wouldn't want to drive 200 miles to do it. There are feral hogs in the southern part of the state and they are legal to hunt year-round but the Conservation Dept. frowns on it because they have a trapping program they say works better to get rid of them.

Yes the have been quartered out and I’m going to a buddies to start grinding sausage and vacuums sealing.
Always found that if you can get the blood out of wild hog meat before processing, it will be a much more pleasurable dining experience when prepared for the table. Basically meat is placed in a cooler and covered with ice. The drain plug is left open and ice is added until clear water runs from the drain. Check out posts by @Howie1968, you will find that is what he does, and he kills a bunch more hogs than I do or ever will.

I also agree we’ve been bleeding it out all morning and I used to flush it for three days, it seems that less than a day has been good enough for the last couple of times.

also whoever says lock time is slow, I hit that hog on a dead run. They are fast.

Always found that if you can get the blood out of wild hog meat before processing, it will be a much more pleasurable dining experience when prepared for the table. Basically meat is placed in a cooler and covered with ice. The drain plug is left open and ice is added until clear water runs from the drain. Check out posts by @Howie1968, you will find that is what he does, and he kills a bunch more hogs than I do or ever will.

I use this method my self on all game meat. This picture is of deer meat. The animal was not blood shot at all no damage to the meat. This was just the hamburger meat. I started doing this with Antelope and now I do it with all wild game. I soak 24 hours in Ice and salt water. Then I rinse and hang in pillow cases for 24 hours to drain.

1Vg8ZiP.jpg

Made it out for some hog hunting. this morning.
Nailed a decent boar at 20 yards in a full run through the neck. With the 50 caliber Kibler Colonial.

Buddy put a second round in him.
before I could get to him.
90 grains of fffg went right through his neck.
I think I’m done with modern hunting for now and sticking to flintlocks.

my two boys got a hog each.
(modern guns).
My youngest got his first.
Next you'll be dumping the cammo.
Good for you sir.

Question, how often do y’all freshen pan powder during a hunt?
Just open the pan cover and bump the lock a bit with your hand. You will see if the powder is still loose or starting to clump. If it's clumping, brush it out and refresh. If its all dry and loose, leave it.

As stated, can vary a lot depending on humidity.

Just open the pan cover and bump the lock a bit with your hand. You will see if the powder is still loose or starting to clump. If it's clumping, brush it out and refresh. If its all dry and loose, leave it.

As stated, can vary a lot depending on humidity.

Yesterday thankfully was a very low humidity day.

im thinking about doing another Kibler.

58 caliber colonial, plain walnut no patch box. Simple mans pig slayer.

Latest posts

Back