• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow up report , CVA .32 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patch knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the follow up for the range report I posted here , about 3 weeks ago . It's for a CVA .32 cal. "Squirrel Rifle" I built from a kit about 20 years ago . I replaced the OEM sights with "iron sights" from TOTW . I've found my rifle likes 35 grns. fffg , and a .315 ball with .010 patching . At 25 yards my best three shot group was 9/16" , the farthest hole from the center of the target was 5/8" , and the closest was 3/8" . I tried some .128" thick , cardboard wads over the powder , and the rifle grouped low with them :hmm: , so I stopped using them . At 50 yards (no wads) the rifle grouped high , using the same hold (dead on center) I used at 25 yards :confused: I thought it would have grouped lower :hmm: . I held about an inch below center and my best three shot group was 2-13/16" , with the farthest shot from center 1-7/8" and the closest 7/8" . I think the rifle can do sub-two inch groups at 50 yards if I swab between every shot . I shot these groups from the bench , with only my elbows on the bench , with nothing but my hand supporting the rifle (that's how I like to shoot) . I swabbed after every third shot . I think next time I'll try those wads at 50 yards and see what happens . I'm also going to swab after every shot , and see if I can tighten that group up :thumbsup: . I hope some of you found this info useful :hatsoff: .

Back