• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Folding clasp knife addiction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I think I might have introduced myself to another addiction. Making clasp knives. This is really bad 'cuz I have alot of other things I should be working on.

This one is forged from 3/32 1095 filed bright before heat treating. The blade is 3 1/4 inches and overall length is 7 3/8 inces.

IMG_0603.jpg

Folded the length is 4 1/8 inch.

IMG_0602.jpg

The handle is ash scraped to finish, lightly torched and then polish and burnished using soft pine. The pin washers made from 22 ga. sheet metal.

IMG_0604.jpg

I wonder if there is a Knife Makers Anonymous?

Comments, criticisms and opinions always welcome.

Joe

Hey Joe, lookin good. I got into folers myself lately. Got a Bowie and a Dag to work on, but, the folders are fun...Bud

I like it!! Since your addicted and need to make more how about making me one? :bow: I build decent guns but knife and horn work are certainly not on my list of strong points.

Very nice work. The only thing I would do different is to replace the square washer with a metal bolster going across the width of the handle. Or at the very least, a round washer.

IMHO, the result would be a visually smooth exterior that is equal to the apparent quality of the rest of the knife.

J.D.

I like it!!! :thumbsup: Is there a spring to hold it open? The French clasp knives that this one seems to be styled after do not have springs but have a stud at the back of the blade to enable the user to hold it in place while using but yours does not. You obviously have great skill at this, keep it up (and if you decide to make some for sale, let us know. :winking: )

Thanks for all of your comments and questions.

Wick & J.D.:

The idea behind this knife came from two sources. On page 63 of Lar Hothem's book titled "Indian Trade Relics" there is a picture of a clasp knife with wooden handle and single pin with square hand cut pin washers that is ca. 1770.

The other source is from[url] lanouvelle-france.com/claspknifetypes.htm.[/url] where I got the blade design of a type 2 Jambette dit Flatin from.

I just combined the two to arrive at this knife.

Crockett:

Try Admiral Steel, they will probably have the size your looking for.

Va.'06:

Both one and two pins clasp knives were made by the french. A one pin knife had either a flattened portion of the blade that stopped the blades travel or the rear of the blade rests on the handle. A two pin knife, which is also termed an a la capucine knife had a notch that rested on the second pin. Keep checking the classified adds I am starting to have more knives than I know what to do with and someday might list there.

I have seen varied examples of bolsters on clasp knives. An original one I have has a single pin with a cylindrical bolster.

Your responses are appreciated.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you’re happy.... I saw your post, and decided that I wanted to make something like that....

PocketKnife.jpg

I have a bunch of old kitchen knives that all have the tips busted off (I had a roommate that didn't know about can openers....)
got out my grinder and played with it....

The next one will be better, this was more of a learning experience...

See.... now you've got me hooked.

Merry Christmas Patrick, that is a fine looking knife you made. I dont know what it is that attracts me to these knives, but I find them intriguing. I took mine to work (inspector for 12 pipeline crews) and used it for a lot of tasks. When you are aware that it is not a locking blade, it makes an excellent working knife. I have mine adjusted tight.

Take it and work with it. I hope you receive as many comments on yours as I do mine. Be sure to post a picture of your next one. I would really like to see pictures of others.

Here are a couple of pictures of an original my family got me for Christmas.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

:hatsoff:

Joe

Back