• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flying comercial with black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.flintlock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A lot of people fly to different states for hunting trips. I got to wondering if I should fly to say, Colorado for an elk hunt. I know that I can check my trusty flintlock as baggage. What about the black powder and bullets that I will need? Can I place it inside my checked baggage? What are the regulations on ammo.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Check this link. No powder or caps...even in checked bags. The balls shouldn't be a problem. Just plan to find your powder and caps locally.

You can ship and ride on a plane with ammo much more easily than loose powder and caps, since ammo is a finished product.

What if you checked a few 20mm anti-aircraft shells while flying? But instead of normal shells, they were filled with blackpowder and caps.

Norinco said:
You can ship and ride on a plane with ammo much more easily than loose powder and caps, since ammo is a finished product.

What if you checked a few 20mm anti-aircraft shells while flying? But instead of normal shells, they were filled with blackpowder and caps.

They'd probably consider that a pipe bomb :nono:

Cast round balls won't be a problem - inert lead balls. Nor will flints - bits of rock. You can ship them to a post office in a pay-one-price box for a lot less than carry on weight to "general delivery" and pick them up when you arrive.

Have some powder shipped to your guide or to a sporting goods store and pick it up when you arrive. Pack your horn empty and fill it up on site.

20mm shells would be excessive but I thought about loading up a box of 45-70 shells with black powder and pulling the bullets to reclaim the powder after I reach my destination. Since I hunt with flintlocks I won't need primers.I could load a couple of shells with prime powder and the rest with 3-f. The main thing is that I want to stay completely legal. Hmmm- Driving the ol Dodge Ram is probably a better idea.

Don't even think about it. The risk of getting caught and the possible consiquences are terrible.
I do not fly any more, we had an incident with the TSA.
My little 7 year old blond haired blue eyed daughter for some reason set them off and suddenly she was surrounded, wisked away and strip searched.
We always taught her that policemen were her friends. Now she hates and fears police. I cant blame her.
No reason was given for being treated that way by the TSA and there was no I am sorry.
The TSA is horrible so we drive now.

In September my wife and I went on a New England cruse. We departed from Atlanta. My wife had a fractured foot and was wearing an air cast. Aparently this thing has a steel shank. Well, it set the alarm off and the nice folks from TSA did everything but strip search her. The made her sit down, remove the cast and stand on one foot while they ran the wand over her entire body. This time the alarn did not go off. Did that satisfy TSA personal? Nooo, They decided that she needed to continue standing on one foot while they patted her down from head to toe.

Funny thing though, on the return trip we entered Boston Airport the alarm went off and they had her stand (cast still on)while they wanded her. Then they had her sit down while they wanded her foot with cast still on. They then let her pass. No hassle like we had in Atlanta.

We are a white, english speaking couple in well into our 60s. We do not resemble any faction of terrorists. I can only conclude that of all the personnel employeed by TSA, the stupidest ones are based in Atlanta.

Because of this experience and hearing of the treatment that your family received and other horror stories, I may never fly again.

morning folks.Dumb guestion,what are the laws about the public shipping b/p in the mail? As for the TSA,i was in the waiting area at the airport and one thing dawned one me,the guards between me and the plane were not even armed. :confused: Brian

The TSA officers are not really police/LEO at all, just government baggage/passenger screeners. All federal LEO's are trained and carry sidearms, TSA officers do not.

Illegal to mail powder (or any ammunition for that matter). You need to use someplace like UPS or such for it.

The people I know who fly with their guns , use ups to ship their powder,caps, and balls. Or else flat rate parcal post boxes.

Norinco said:

I think that would probably earn you a 5 hour interrogation and a nice body cavity search! Bring on the latex gloves and vaseline!
:shocked2:

ohio ramrod said:
The people I know who fly with their guns , use ups to ship their powder,caps, and balls. Or else flat rate parcal post boxes.

Don't powder and caps require the $20 hazmat fee? Of course, if they do don't ask don't tell (illegal not to declare), then it's not a problem (until they get caught).

CWC said:
Norinco said:

I think that would probably earn you a 5 hour interrogation and a nice body cavity search! Bring on the latex gloves and vaseline!
:shocked2:

I don't see how that's a problem since 20mm ammo is perfectly legal. If you check and declare like you would with any other ammo, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, that's assuming the TSA agents looking at your stuff are reasonable. I guess they may target you anyway.

now, you've got to wonder about the motivation of someone who would strip search a blond haired blue eyes seven year old girl.

this reveals the government for what it is...

(end of tirade, for now)

The "terror" part of terrorism is every bit as much found in the draconian reaction of our government as it is in the actual attacks of the terrorists themselves. The terrorists succeed even if an attack is not completed, due to the sorts of situations you and your daughter encountered.

I recognize the government has a strong security interest, but at what point do we begin to terrorize our own countrymen with "security" as much as the likes of Al Qaida terrorize us with actual attacks?

Gentlemen: Please stick to the subject which is, how does one get their black powder and/or percussion caps to their destination if they are using the airlines to get there?

If you have a contact at the other end, another option might be to have him/her/them obtain some powder and caps for you, if they are available locally.

Loaded ammunition is (or at least used to be) acceptable in checked baggage, and I've heard from people on multiple forums who have carried their powder in a couple of boxes of loaded .45-70, .45-140, etc. cartridges. IIRC, at least one of them used either fired or deactivated primers to make these up, and maybe just a snug friction-fit on the bullets (minimal or no crimp).

Caps can be problematic if you can't get them at the destination. This is another reason why the flintlock is lasting technology, while percussion is a passing fad :grin:.

Regards,
Joel

Norinco said:
I don't see how that's a problem since 20mm ammo is perfectly legal. If you check and declare like you would with any other ammo, then it shouldn't be a problem.

The bad side to this idea was the idea of sneaking caps into the 20mm shells. That would have to be illegal since caps aren't allowed in checked bags. Since the OP is shooting a flintlock it shouldn't be a problem. I like the idea of loading up some rounds with BP and then pulling the bullets. I haven't flown with BP guns yet, but when I do I might try that idea!

Are there 20mm shells that don't have explosive warheads on them?

Maybe I've been watching too many movies but I got the idea that the .50's were solids but the 20mm's had explosive warheads.

Assuming I'm correct, I think the guards at the airports might frown on someone trying to get a few 20mm's aboard (even if their warheads were deactivated which is a hard thing to prove to the guard who's frowning at his find).

Now, with the popularity of the .50 BMG and their solid projectile 5 or 10 of them packed with BP with a solid bullet lightly glued in place might work.
Not only that but you can buy the cases and bullets fairly easily (if you've got enough spare money laying around to pay for them).

Back