• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flyin feathers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a certain number of folks here that absolutely hate anything not HC/PC. It could be the best gun ever made in the whole wide world but if it ain't HC/PC, it's trash! Obviously CVA's are not the best gun made in the whole wide world but they are quite serviceable. Lean your gun and don’t' worry what some may think of it. One thing I have observed here is, if a person is having a problem with their HC/PC flintlock, it is a learning curve but if it is a non-HC/PC (factory) gun it is a piece of garbage.

Back in the 70's didn"t most barrels on the production guns come from the same barrel make in ITALY. Whether it was CVA, LYMAN ,TC

alabamaboy said:
Back in the 70's didn"t most barrels on the production guns come from the same barrel make in ITALY. Whether it was CVA, LYMAN ,TC

No!

Wick Ellerbe said:
I have seen many CVA's shoot as well as any other. The major problem that pops up is the chambered breech plug system used. Some never have a problem with it, but many do. Hangfires, failures to ignite at all, and harder to clean properly, which may be the cause of many of the other problems. If you are happy with it, nothing else matters.

That was the problem I had with mine back in the '70's. A gunbuilder friend of mine did some work and greatly improved it. The lock wasn't the best either but some of the problem was me being a new flint shooter. I was used to percussion guns. The rifle did shoot good and the wood to metal fit and stock quality was excellent. It had the prettiest stock I've ever seen on a production gun and better than many customs I've seen. It was the two wedge Mountain Rifle. Traded it even for an Austrian Lorenz.

It's answers like that that just makes me want to chew tin foil.nothing behine them just NO. If I am wrong then tell me how and why

You said
"
Back in the 70's didn"t most barrels on the production guns come from the same barrel make in ITALY. Whether it was CVA, LYMAN ,TC "
------

The guns, including the barrels that TC made/makes were, and are made in the United States and always have been.

The guns and barrels sold by CVA were made in Spain by a company called Ardesa. That company is now the supplier for the guns sold by Traditions.
The only exception is the barrels made during the '70's for the CVA MOuntain Rifle were made by an unknown maker in the USA. Many people think Douglas made these barrels.

The guns sold by Lyman were and are made in Italy.
Over the years, several different Italian companies and companies which have changed their names over the years have supplied Lyman.

I hope this answers your question. :)

alabamaboy said:
It's answers like that that just makes me want to chew tin foil.nothing behine them just NO. If I am wrong then tell me how and why

I am sorry. I didn't realize you wanted further explanation but Mr. Zonie has done so admirably.

Yes it does and I thank you these answers are better than just NO thank you again :)

I have a CVA kentucky rifle kit gun that the wife bought me for xmass 1978. What a piece of manure lock. Wouldn't bust a cap for nuting. Got really po'ed and sent it back to them .They were in Ct. still at that time .Wrote them a letter suggestion they could place it between there hemrodes. A couple of weeks later got the gun back with a new main spring. That gun has taught myself the wife and 4 kids and one son inlaw to shoot b/p. Now waiting for grand son to grow into lop. With my daughters it was a tack driver the rest of us hit what we were aiming at some of the time lol. Just my .02$

The few people I know with CVAs have nothing bad to say about them other than a couple of them needing some touch up work out of the box. CVA did, however, take a kick in the reputation in the 1990s. An alleged material or engineering defect in one of the centerfires they sold resulted in a voluntary recall. Sadly, not before a couple catastrophic failures resulting in severe injuries. As a firearms retailer, that's just the kind of press you don't want. A search on "unsafe muzzleloaders" will offer a few results with more information on the matter.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

IMO, anyone searching the web for "unsafe muzzleloaders" needs to be aware of the fact that a few years ago there was a guy who blasted CVA stating that their sidelock guns were totally unsafe to shoot.

He based his opinion not on any accidents or barrel explosions but simply on the Spanish proof mark which includes a pressure. He felt the pressure was too low to be considered (by him) safe for shooting a black powder load.

There is some question about what that pressure marking actually represents but I have yet to hear of any sidelock CVA barrels bursting unless they were shot with smokeless powder or the ball was left rammed short of the powder load.

As often happens on the web, this guy's opinion was picked up by many people and repeated as a fact in numerous other posts ommiting the fact that no CVA barrels had ever exploded, even with a stout load of black powder under a slug.

Due to these erroneous posts plus the recent problems with the CVA In-Line barrels there are many who still believe the sidelock CVA barrels are dangerous.

IMO, they are not.

Speaking of the CVA sidelocks, their only weak points are, IMO the quality of the wood, the wood/metal fit and some of the older locks (1970-1980) were unbridled and often used poor steel for their frizzens.

Latest posts

Back