• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks with Matches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure I have the right classification here, but has anyone ever tried clamping a strike anywhere wooden match into a flintlock cock for use in lieu of a flint? Aside from an excessive hang time, I can see no real reason it could not be made to work.

Tried strike anywhere matches many years back. The mainspring was too powerful, and the matchhead failed to ignite when it struck the steel frizzen on my Siler lock. Oh yes, a single matchstick was definitely too wimpy to withstand the impact, so we tried Elmer's glue to create several small bundles of matches and finally did get one bundle to work! LOL - must have been in the late 70s to early 80s when that took place. Fun stuff, but we gave up on it after that.
H-m-m-m, let's see - it might be possible to use some sturdy Matchlock cord to experiment in the jaws of a flinter - but you'd need to manually open the pan for the lit cord to work...anybody tried it ?? (I suspect the springs will still prove to be too powerful to for the cord to survive the impact with the pan, but...)

Tried strike anywhere matches many years back. The mainspring was too powerful, and the matchhead failed to ignite when it struck the steel frizzen on my Siler lock. Oh yes, a single matchstick was definitely too wimpy to withstand the impact, so we tried Elmer's glue to create several small bundles of matches and finally did get one bundle to work! LOL - must have been in the late 70s to early 80s when that took place. Fun stuff, but we gave up on it after that.
H-m-m-m, let's see - it might be possible to use some sturdy Matchlock cord to experiment in the jaws of a flinter - but you'd need to manually open the pan for the lit cord to work...anybody tried it ?? (I suspect the springs will still prove to be too powerful to for the cord to survive the impact with the pan, but...)
Interesting idea.

In the old days the heads of lucifers were sometimes used on percussion guns. Tried it, works sometimes....
The ‘Khyber’ copies of 0,303” Martinis, Lee Metfords and Lee Enfields were sometimes loaded with reused British 0,303” cartridges. With the primers reused with red match head materials and ground glass. The powder being finely chopped nitrate film stock and the bullets also used and filed smooth and popped back on top. So matches can work. However, I do not recommend one tries the process of the rest of the home recycled 0,303” Afridi reloading.

Best way might be to just touch a lit match to an open, primed pan...
Touched off a line of powder that way once. Just once. It was starting to get dark and I had my hand too far over the line of powder. Got a nasty flash burn. Cop drove up just in time to see the line of fire burn out and me hopping up and down, swinging my arm and using adult language. My co-worker at once made a hasty retreat, which made the cop think something shady was going on. I explained that we were disposing of some powder that we were not sure off.

Nobody got arrested and my blisters healed eventually. I try to avoid getting my hands near any powder that is about to get lit off these days.

Raedwald/John,
Trouble with these Afridi loads, was they ate everything. I have had a few blocks and chambers completely eaten up on these old Martinis out the northern sandbox.
Had to grind off where the face of the block should have been, and attach a new hardened face. Those matches and stuff were terribly corrosive!

Back