• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock to Percussion Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I have an old ultrahigh flintlock musket that I would like to convert to percussion, simply put the lock is terrible and I can’t get powder. I know that I will need to drill and tap the flash hole for a drum, and possibly modify the lock. However I would prefer if I could get a new percussion lock instead of grinding out the pan and changing the cock/hammer. any help will be appreciated.

Call L&R and see if their replacement lock series will fit the original lock mortise.

May require a bit chisel work to re-inlet the lock guts.

ultrahigh flintlock musket that I would like to convert to percussion,
The rifle and manufacturer are obsolete, any parts needed for replacement are no longer available.
Your right, do not re-man the lock
What your considering, while not impossible, is very UN-practical,, garage logic fabrication with the rifle you have will result in diminished value, and/or the cost in parts and labor of the conversion will be more then the value of the rifle.
Your better off to keep it "as is" for trade value and move on to another rifle that suits your needs.

Here's pictures, as to why I want to convert it frankly it's a terrible lock the barrel and stock are solid its just that terrible lock and the fact that being a collage student I can barely afford pyrodex much less the good stuff. Converting it to a percussion lock seems a good way to let me actually use this thing to hunt and when I want a flintlock I can full the drum hole with one of the converters TotW sells and put a good lock in there.

Attachments

• 20230216_211752.jpg
    20230216_211752.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230216_211736.jpg
    20230216_211736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230216_211740.jpg
    20230216_211740.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230216_211815.mp4
    12.7 MB
Ok, Good luck.
You will end up finding a few frustrating points concerning the geometry of the lock, trigger and flash hole positions during your reconstructions.
I just wanted to make sure your aware of that before you begin.
Good luck with your endeavors, Honest. ✌️

Back