• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Running Deer Shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To Admin: if this belongs elsewhere, please move the thread.

Attention: anyone in S.E. PA, or willing to drive thereabouts:

One of the clubs that I frequent has running target shoots. There's 3 or 4 a year depending on interest. The last Sunday before PA Bear Season (this morning) the running shoot is with the unmentionables. The Flintlock Shoot is always the Sunday before Christmas, as the PA Flintlock Season opens the 1st weekday after Christmas every year. The name of the Club is: Cushion Peak Rod and Gun. It's in Vinemont. A tiny little piece of terrritory in Berks County right about at the Lancaster County Line. The Club is normally only open for members only. But, the days of the running shoots it's open to the public. The Club House is also open serving breakfast (and libations for after the guns are stored away). All are welcomed, and the more the merrier.

How it works is as follows:
  1. The participants sign up and pay $2.00 per run of the target.
  2. Names are written on a slip of paper indicating the shooters position in the run.
  3. Each shooter stands at the line 1 at a time and the target is ran.
    1. The target is a piece of masonite mounted on a 2x4. The 2x4 is attached to a carriage that runs on a rail (electric gate opener mounted on an I-beam). There's a score keeper who runs the target inside a block enclosure downrange. After running the target he tapes over the holes and the next shooter stands at the line to fire.
  4. For the unmentionables, 2 shots per run. For the Flintlocks each shooter takes 1 shot and then steps off the line. The next shooter on the list steps to the line, and the process repeats until everyone has shot once. The list is then ran a 2nd time, so everyone gets a total of 2 shots.
  5. Scoring is: 10 for the heart, 10 for the brain, 10 for the Spine, 8 for the lungs, and 5 for the body. Scores are tallied, and the winner gets 1/2 the $$$. The other 1/2 goes to the club. It's a fundraiser after all. Attached are a few pictures from todays shoot. I was shooter #2, in case you were curious.
  6. We keep shooting until everyone has had enough fun for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_1118[1].JPG
    IMG_1118[1].JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1116[1].JPG
    IMG_1116[1].JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1117[1].JPG
    IMG_1117[1].JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 74
I've heard of some placing a target in the center of an old tire and rolling it across the firing line. I've killed a few deer that were trotting but only one fully running. Shot was only 20 yards and I took it with my flintlock smoothbore.

I've heard of some placing a target in the center of an old tire and rolling it across the firing line. I've killed a few deer that were trotting but only one fully running. Shot was only 20 yards and I took it with my flintlock smoothbore.
This is much more controlled and repeatable than the tire method.

We roll them down a hill on the farm. We all learned to shoot that way!

Sounds like a fun time. Just an observation NOT a complaint. I find the scoring interesting in that a spine shot is a 10 and a lung shot is only an 8. I would think a spine shoot would be a lesser score than a lung shot since it is not usually where you want to hit an animal and it would be just a luck shot to hit it I understand the head shot being a 10 since you would have to be aiming for it for the hit. It would be a hit or a miss since it would be a smaller target, like you have with the heart. Anyway just an observation on my part. DANNY

I'm betting spine is 10 and lungs 8 based on the deer will cease running if hit in the spine. That gives you the opportunity to use your knife! It also denies your neighbor the pleasure of eating your deer after it dies on his side of the fence.

Latest posts

Back