• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhammox

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings fellow historians & enthusiasts, I am a new member, and new to the whole Muzzleloader World. My interest derives from a love of History and SAR Membership. So, I thought I would check into acquiring a Prop Flintlock for fun, shooting, and display. The next thing I knew I’d laid a bid at auction on a flintlock rifle that I didn’t expect to win, but I did.

Now it’s oh SH_T!!, let me break the news to my wife, and pray I got something worthwhile. I’ve not received the rifle yet, but thought if I posted some pictures of it maybe I could get some information on it.

So the real reason I’m here is to keep my bacon from burning.

Other than that, I’m just an old retired guy out here in Oregon, who wonders what happened to Patriotism in this country.

I’ll post some photos soon as I figure out where to post them.

The Rifle

“Flintlock by Don Goucher 45 Cal; 42.5-inch barrel may be the most artistic gun you’ll ever see the more you look at this the more you appreciate the art and attention to detail. Goucher is respecting name and guns.”

Attachments

• Goucher11.jpg
    Goucher11.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Goucher10.jpg
    Goucher10.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Goucher9.jpg
    Goucher9.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Goucher8.jpg
    Goucher8.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Goucher7.jpg
    Goucher7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Goucher6.jpg
    Goucher6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Goucher5.jpg
    Goucher5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Goucher4.jpg
    Goucher4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Goucher3.jpg
    Goucher3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Goucher2.jpg
    Goucher2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 137
Thats a beautiful rifle. Sure to bring you a lot of enjoyment. Check that its unloaded and do a lot of research into every facet of care and use. It looks very well made. Good luck Sir!

Hi,
Very nice rifle. Enjoy it. It looks to be from the 1970s before good quality commercially made parts were readily available. It might fit in with what we sometimes call the "long rifle revival" period. Goucher may have made the barrel. From a historical stand point, it is a bit of a modern fantasy piece with no recognizable historical style or school. That was common for rifles from that time because detailed scholarship, really only beginning in the 1960s with Kindig's famous book, was not widely known among contemporary makers. It was not until 1980 that we had Shumway's "Rifles in Colonial America". Anyway, it is a nice example of the work being done at that time.

dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. Is the name “Don Goucher” known as a gunmaker, or is he an unknown?

Since this would be about the 1970’s I take it that it should still be a good shooter to introduce me to this sport. Since it is being shipped and has not yet arrived, where should I take it when it arrives to have it checked out? I am not even a novice yet and the only Black Powder dealer near me I know of is Cabela’s

Any direction toward knowledgeable folks out here in Oregon would be appreciated.

This sounds like a great sport, and you guys get into the whole “regalia” thing too. This is really cool, I don’t know why I’ve never looked at this before. But then, I have been wearing blinders and a ball and chain for some years now…

Well, I am into this for less $ than I could have bought the parts for a decent build it looks like, so at least it feels I am ahead of the game, for now. Yup, that is the line I’ll use tonight…

Hours later…

I did break the news to my wife, and she is still speaking with me so at least that’s over. Guess I dodged another bullet there. However, I am writing this from the dungeon in the wee hours if that is an indicator.

Hi,
I think Don Goucher is from Oklahoma. I know he made at least one Hawken rifle but I don't know more about him. He made barrels. I think he is still alive and living in El Reno, Oklahoma. You might find contact information on the internet.

dave

@Rhammox, you will find reading a little bit on the Forum that a flint lock rifle requires real black powder, not any of the substitute black powders. You will need GOEX, Old Eynsford, Swiss or Scheutzen brands of powder in the 3fg grade. I would be leery of seeking muzzle loader help from a sales clerk at a Cabela's store. I might be surprised, but it seems that most of the sales clerks at the big box sporting goods stores expertise is in ringing up sales. Your best source of good information is from an experienced flint lock shooter, who would know a muzzle loading gunsmith. Where are you located? It is likely a member of the Forum is nearby who could be of help.

Welcome to the Forum. If you start shooting your flint lock rifle, you will find it quite enjoyable as you go beyond having a parade prop to shooting and participating in this sport.

Thanks, Dave, and Grenadier, I am out of Tigard, Oregon just south of Portland.
I did find a shop in Keizer Oregon; Muzzleloading and More, Purveyor of Muzzleloading Supplies and Accoutrements. So I might as well start there. Since I agree that Sales Clerks are not always very knowledgable, and when it comes to safety, well I'll travel the distance. Hopefully, they will be able to steer me to the right people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking rifle! Good luck finding black powder from anywhere but the internet. Cabelas likely won't have it, they don't around here anyway. Black powder is classified differently than smokeless and it's a hefty permit and strict storage requirements so most don't bother with it. I get mine from Powder Valley, but combine with smokeless to ease the haz fee.

Dear Mr Rhammox - THE place to go in Oregon is 'The Gun Works' in Springfield. The staff there, including the formidable Suzi, know exactly what you need, and will not bamboozle you with cra- merchandise that makes them a few bucks, but is as much use to you as a lead fishing float.

If you DO get there, tell Suzi hello from us.

Wow, thanks for all the tips, Springfield is worth the drive. I'll be sure to say hello.

Wow, thanks for all the tips, Springfield is worth the drive. I'll be sure to say hello.

Trust me - and many others here - you will NOT be sorry you went. They also have a great mail/shipping service that I've used over the years here in UK for smaller unobtainables. Like, fer''instance, revolver nipples. There is one dealer over here charging £60+ for a set of ROA nipples. The Butler-Creek variety that TGS sells are around $20. I've brought back untold numbers of sets for ROAs and other guns for my shooting pals over here, and making a small profit that I pass on to 'Help for Heroes' and the Royal National lifeboat Institute - both very worthy national charities.

Greetings fellow historians & enthusiasts, I am a new member, and new to the whole Muzzleloader World. My interest derives from a love of History and SAR Membership. So, I thought I would check into acquiring a Prop Flintlock for fun, shooting, and display. The next thing I knew I’d laid a bid at auction on a flintlock rifle that I didn’t expect to win, but I did.

Now it’s oh SH_T!!, let me break the news to my wife, and pray I got something worthwhile. I’ve not received the rifle yet, but thought if I posted some pictures of it maybe I could get some information on it.

Other than that, I’m just an old retired guy out here in Oregon, who wonders what happened to Patriotism in this country.

The Rifle

“Flintlock by Don Goucher 45 Cal; 42.5-inch barrel may be the most artistic gun you’ll ever see the more you look at this the more you appreciate the art and attention to detail. Goucher is respecting name and guns.”
I was watching ( now) your rifle also at auction Saturday, good pick. What did you think of the flint/ percussion Jager style rifle that was also one of the queens. I lost out on her, as not willing to go to $800, but she was worth it. My pal bought the R. Murphy .58 and Wm Large bench rifle w/Bursean action, false muzzle, custom stock. When I was a kid just getting into this smoke pole thing, this was the bench rifle to own if you wanted to shoot group's the size of a quarter. Their were a lot of guns that went cheep , and the extra muzzle loading accessories , knifes, pouch's, sights, made it a fun auction. Cheers,

The Rifle

The Rifle

Hello, this may sound crazy but Don Goucher is my grandpa! I just searched his name and then flintlocks after it. Id love to get in contact with you to discuss this beautiful gun! my email is [email protected]

Back