• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1773 Belgian Flintlock Regiment marked ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WY938

32 Cal
Reaction score
So this is my first post as I am new to Flintlock rifles. I am looking to buy my first rifle and then learn to shot it with my son. He is a History student and almost done with his associates degree Im pretty proud of him he will be the first in our family to graduate from collage. but any how I am trying to identify this rifle we are guessing revolutionary war?? or a Khyber pass fake not sure at all Here are some pics and please all comments and suggestions are welcome!!
click on link for pics PICS HERE

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get replies. Marks may be rack no's, but pretty knowledgeable people here will no no doubt clue you in. I'm sure we will be looking for any comments. Nice old gun!

Thanks Springfield art I hate to buy a fake piece of junk that I cant learn to fire . I am reading up on how the Kentucky and Pennsylvania rifles came about in America very interesting but its just left me with more questions as far as what it is I have posted pictures of. Im thinking its maybe Belgian, German, English, or an old Khyber pass Junker..... no clue yet..... Now adding Musket or Rifle to the wonder list!!!! Thanks Cruzatte!!!

Last edited:
That maybe a real musket but that isn’t what I would suggest to a friend to learn this sport on. Other than making it go bang what goals do you have? Target shooting, hunting, reenacting or other?

anybody in touch with the market prices help with a ballpark value?? 900$ is what they askin...

That's a nice musket to collect, but if I were to shoot it regularly I think I would look into a kit rifle from Jim Kibler, maybe a flint rifle? That way you and your son could build it (they are really nice guns and fairly easy to assemble) with great memories and have a modern but "old feel" rifle.

Hi,
The gun is an Austrian Lorenz rifled musket that someone turned into a flintlock. The mark on the lock is from the Austro-Hungarian Empire during the mid-late 19th century. The Belgium made barrel was probably substituted when the lock was turned from percusssion to flint. Someone was trying to fake an older gun. The "1773" if that is what it reads is either faked or has nothing to do with the date of the gun.

dave

Hi Penske,
I thought about that as well but did not want to speculate about it. While the African trade marketed flintlocks into the 20th century it is also possible the gun was altered as a movie prop or even something to fool a reenactor.

dave

Hi,
The gun is an Austrian Lorenz rifled musket that someone turned into a flintlock. The mark on the lock is from the Austro-Hungarian Empire during the mid-late 19th century. The Belgium made barrel was probably substituted when the lock was turned from percusssion to flint. Someone was trying to fake an older gun. The "1773" if that is what it reads is either faked or has nothing to do with the date of the gun.

dave
Thanks you all This is exactly what I needed to know about this gun I will not be making a mistake buying it...... Thanks so much

That's a nice musket to collect, but if I were to shoot it regularly I think I would look into a kit rifle from Jim Kibler, maybe a flint rifle? That way you and your son could build it (they are really nice guns and fairly easy to assemble) with great memories and have a modern but "old feel" rifle.
The historic value means the most to my son........................... but thanks for the idea

Ill be looking for a Harpers Ferry Flintlock

So this is my first post as I am new to Flintlock rifles. I am looking to buy my first rifle and then learn to shot it with my son. He is a History student and almost done with his associates degree Im pretty proud of him he will be the first in our family to graduate from collage. but any how I am trying to identify this rifle we are guessing revolutionary war?? or a Khyber pass fake not sure at all Here are some pics and please all comments and suggestions are welcome!!
click on link for pics PICS HERE
Without handling the rifle I believe Dave Person's description is pretty close, it does appear it might be a rifle made up for the African trade.
Joining the ML forum was a good move, lots of great people here who are willing to help you out.
Belgium made quality proofed barrels for many nations & custom gun makers as well.
If the lock is in excellent working condition & as well as the breech area & barrel you might have a shooter but
is it a good buy ?? Without a close examination I personally would pass at that price.
Consider checking out the original military flint musket at a lesser price currently offered by one of our forum members as he's an experienced shooter & says it's shootable. As I recall the barrel has been shortened but it's a pretty neat rifle with real historical character.

I also prefer to collect & shoot original firearms that have history so I understand where your coming from.
The forum has numerous members in Colorado, perhaps there is a club member near you with similar interests who has experience to find a good buy near you ?
At 80 due to health issues I can no longer shoot my rifles so am considering selling my two remaining original big bore percussion Jeager rifles. One was originally a flintlock but was expertly later converted to percussion & both have perfect rifled bores are in excellent original condition but I live in Idaho.
Happy hunting,
Relic shooter

Back