• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodse guy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I buy a good flint for my fire kit. I have no idea what a good one looks like.

Search " Black Chert Silica Specimen " on Ebay. Buy the big black rock looking like piece with white powder on it, and nap a few flakes off it. Its the best you can get, in my opinion.

Black English flint is what it is i think.

If your buying rocks on line, and its for your fire kit look for some fools gold...iron pyrites. I use a 2 inch round piece in my fire kit thats better then 10 years old and not much smaller. throws hot sparks and lots of them. But before you start coughig up money for unshaped rocks go to a creekbed and look for any small rock that has a flat 'knife like edge. dry it off and give it a whack. It just may throw a spark or two. Flint/chert grows wild in mo.

I looked on a web site to see if I had flint or chert. And according to it I have none in my area

There's a lot of good chert in Missouri for strike a light or making gunflints. I'm a Missouri feller. Most anybody can bust up some rock and get a sharp edge, but it takes some skill to shape them and get them nice and thin for carrying around. I sent you a PM.

woodse guy said:
Where can I buy a good flint for my fire kit. I have no idea what a good one looks like.

You live in Missouri, you are probably walking on a lot of flint every day. Well known flint knapper, D.C. Waldorf lives in the Branson area. He shouldn't be hard to locate, he can get you some. I have a couple pieces of red agate I use for fire striking. They started out over 40 years ago as one hand-sized piece that D.C. gave me. If these two last another 40 years I'll be OK.

I'd a figured that you'd have plenty of flint there in Missouri too! Here in Kentucky, I pick it up out of the driveway! I believe the gravel driveway where I work is probably over 5% flint! I can send you some chunks.

Back