• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint knapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you guys knap your flints? Percussion knapping or pressure knapping? What tools do you use?

I just started and have been percussion knapping with piece of copper.
P1020050_zpsfb0dd48b.jpg

P1020053_zpsb1e8ed7b.jpg

Held in this position with the frizzen open.
P1020052_zps2cd63578.jpg

The book I have on knapping says the ends are supposed to be hemispheres and smooth.

Looks interesting, how did the flint come up? Can you take a photo of the flint striking edge? I am starting to experiment with local chert and it is a frustratingly enjoyable exercise.

Jonno

If I can I will, course I'm sure my amateurish napping will give people who really know what their doing heart burn but we all got to start some where.
P1020073_zps67490e03.jpg

I think this is the one I napped the corners off a bit when the middle chipped out as a fresh flint. Yeah, it's a good deal shorter than when it was new. The copper seemed to work really well.
Also some one mentioned the possible harm to the lock when napping the flint in the cock jaws at full cock but I've since realized there is hammer over travel from the full cock position and the spring tension keeps it from banging against the sear bar.It would be virtually impossible to hurt the lock while napping the flint edge sharp. MD

I picked up and ingot of copper somewhere, I forget now where,and hack sawed a piece off length wise, rounded the corners and hemisphered both ends with a mill bastard file.MD

Get a copy of Waldorfs flint napping book from TOTW . It explains the proper angles etc to strike flint and will be a big help. I am new at this too and have broken some also, trying to sharpen. I'm experimenting also with the pressure flaking against the frizzen. So far the copper has worked better for me. MD

I have tried the frizzen way of refacing the flint and it works well for me. I also pressure flake them with a copper nail driven into a wooden handle. I hold them in a fold of leather over the vice in the shed. This is mainly how I try to shape and sharpen the flints that I am trying to make.
I think that I will look for a piece of copper rod.
Thanks for the photos and description.
Jonno

I've done very little knapping, but have used a piece of brass (it's all I had to at least try it). Works okay. I took a brass rod and pressed it into a wood handle, after drilling a hole. I made a "copper bopper" for working larger pieces. I've had decent luck with obsidian for arrow heads.

For knapping a gun flint, the frizzen method works well in the field, but have used the little hammer (brass) with a screwdriver attached to tighten the jaws. You don't have to take much off to freshen the gun flint......

Back