• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint knapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Sanders

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get information on how to make my own flints? I do not have a place to just walk in and buy them anymore. I could mail order them but I thought I would try to make them.

Hawken Hunter 60

The Art Of Flint Napping by D.C.Waldorf is a good book and DVD.

But be carefull, it can be addictive :wink: .

Does this book tell you what kind of stone to use for various projects (flintlock flints) and where to find it?

Yes, and know. Go to your State Geological Survey and ask for maps showing where flint can be found. You have flint available right there in the St. Louis area. The cherts can be found in the "St. Louis Limestone " formations. Also, contact Rich Pierce, a member here who makes and sells gun flints. He is there in St.Louis. I suspect he will be a good man to make your friend.

Paul

Wheere to find it? The book or the flint.
I just reserved a copy of the book at the local library.

Say goodbye to your free time once you start down the waldorf path there's no turning back. You will aquire about three more hobbies, his books and videos are treasures.

Waldorfs book covers every thing from flintlock flint-chert sources, to the making of the Type IV Danish Dagger.

I bought the book and DVD to learn how to make gun flints, but found that arrow points were more interesting.

As you can see, I'm still on that learning curve, ultimately to the danish dagger. :grin:

flints001.jpg

BenKolb said:
Say goodbye to your free time once you start down the waldorf path there's no turning back. You will aquire about three more hobbies, his books and videos are treasures.

Don't forget all the cool tools you need to make go with the hobby :thumbsup: .

I imagine Rich Pierce should chime in here soon. You are probably neighbors and don't know it. He may have some tips fpr ya.

Back