• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for .40 RB..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1673731D-CAA0-4475-95A9-54BBBE2C1AB6.jpeg843BC8D9-2FDB-41C9-9ACD-CBCF7B28B115.jpeg

As with almost every question asked on this forum, you got a variety of answers. Bottom line is, in this game, you must experiment, try several ball sizes of pure lead. The most popular patch material is ticking that is about .015" thick and available from several retail sources, like Walmart. Personally, I think trying is a better approach than buying and using expensive measuring gauges. And, trying is an excuse to shoot more. What better way to get acquainted with yer rifle gun?

My projects move with glacial slowness. But...I think I am finally headed to the range with this gun tomorrow. I have accumulated 3 sizes of balls. .389, .395, and .400. I have patching in .010, .015, .020, and pillow ticking at .018. I am going to shoot Pyrodex P fff at first. I ordered the gauges suggested by Dusty Traveler just because I like to fool with that sort of thing. The gauges about the same price as a couple of packets of patches. The bore is .400 to the nearest 3 places. Green mountain barrel. So...what combo does that indicate I should start with? I am thinking the .395 balls and the .015 patches. I drilled a ball and tested that combo. It starts tight but seems okay. Patches are wonderlube. I got a red dot mounted for this testing because I am old and can not see well enough to compare loads with the open sights or the veneer peep that this gun will wear eventually.

Last edited:
It's hard to recommend a certain size. My bore is .398, i use a .395 ball & .015 patch. It loads easy, .020 loads very hard. The .018 maybe the best. I just have not sought out that patch thickness material. The groove on mine is .418

Last edited:
My projects move with glacial slowness. But...I think I am finally headed to the range with this gun tomorrow. I have accumulated 3 sizes of balls. .389, .395, and .400. I have patching in .010, .015, .020, and pillow ticking at .018. I am going to shoot Pyrodex P fff at first. I ordered the gauges suggested by Dusty Traveler just because I like to fool with that sort of thing. The gauges about the same price as a couple of packets of patches. The bore is .400 to the nearest 3 places. Green mountain barrel. So...what combo does that indicate I should start with? I am thinking the .395 balls and the .015 patches. I drilled a ball and tested that combo. It starts tight but seems okay. Patches are wonderlube. I got a red dot mounted for this testing because I am old and can not see well enough to compare loads with the open sights or the veneer peep that this gun will wear eventually.
If your rifle is a flint lock, I will recommend postponing your trip to the range until you have some real black powder. Pyrodex is notable for being a very poor performer if you can even get it to ignite.

Once you get some 3Fg real black powder such as Schuetzen or GOEX, I would start with a ball 0.010" under the bore diameter or your 0.389" ball. Use a patch that compresses to you groove depth +0.005", probably the 0.015" patch. If your maybe prelubed patches are old, I recommend some new, unlubricated patches to be damply lubricated with a mix of dish soap and water. The initial powder charge of 35 grains measured by volume is a good start. Look for the fired patches to see if there are signs of burn through or patch cutting and report back on what your results are.

My Douglas .40 shoots .395 balls with thin patches. .010-.012-ish. I'm out of real black so am shooting P-dex 2f. Fairly easy to load and great accuracy. Make my own ball grease and use CCI, Winchester or Remington caps. Depends on what I can find. Haven't bought a mold yet but order all my store bought balls from Deer Creek Products. Enjoy yours once you get it worked out. The .40 is a fantastic and useful caliber.

If your rifle is a flint lock, I will recommend postponing your trip to the range until you have some real black powder. Pyrodex is notable for being a very poor performer if you can even get it to ignite.

Once you get some 3Fg real black powder such as Schuetzen or GOEX, I would start with a ball 0.010" under the bore diameter or your 0.389" ball. Use a patch that compresses to you groove depth +0.005", probably the 0.015" patch. If your maybe prelubed patches are old, I recommend some new, unlubricated patches to be damply lubricated with a mix of dish soap and water. The initial powder charge of 35 grains measured by volume is a good start. Look for the fired patches to see if there are signs of burn through or patch cutting and report back on what your results are.
Yep. I ran out of black a while back and nobody around here sells it. So I took my .45 flint canoe gun out a while back for some range time with pyro. Many failures to fire. I think I got it to touch off twice but no telling how many times I had to pick and prime to get those two shots. So the flintlocks are all riding the gun safe until I buy or can make the real stuff. Quite a bummer.

Dusty, where did you find those bore gauges?
Those are called "small hole gages" and there are two different styles - one is the full round sphere as shown and the other style is the "half sphere style". Bothe will do the same job but I like the full sphere style better. I find it easier to use.

Guys..thank you for your help. Unfortunately this thread was posted in the wrong forum. The gun I am asking about is a percussion rifle. Not sure how the thread got over here. Took be a while to find it.

No, the ball gauges I got from Amazon are not "junk". The work fine. They are limited to .50 inches though.

Good to hear.
I’ve got expensive, as well as inexpensive ball gauges. Snap gauges too in both prices. Both require a bit practice to develop the “feel” and the transfer to your mic. You’ll be surprised how often you find yourself using them. Well worth having in your kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back