• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flax Water Bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdbritt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for flax water bags? I've been looking for several months and all I find for sale on the web are "vintage". I want new ones that I can use while camping. Any help is appreciated!

Warren

I picked up a couple Army Surplus. They look like nose bags for horses. Which Army I can't tell. They work OK if you soak them in water for a day, other wise they are a good strainer. If you were closer I'd give mine to you.

Many Klatch

I bought mine at rendezvous years ago. It says pure Scottish flax. You fill it up and it swells the pores and quits dripping. Works good. I would check the supplier's here. Dilly

A few years ago I picked up a stack of new ones at an auction. They were brand new, so apparently they're still being made. These closed with a cork, but they do have an aluminum fitting that would have to be camoflaged if you wanted it to look older. You might try the larger camping stores or websites. Cabellas or Sportsman's Guide might have them.

Thanks for the responses! I have checked all of the major outdoor suppliers (cabelas etc,) but they don't have any. I have run several web searches over the last year or so and the only new ones that show up are from places outside the U.S. We don't have a military surplus store here, so that doesn't work either. I am just getting started in the whole traditional BP thing as I'm coming over from the "DARK SIDE" (you know the dreaded "in-line") so I haven't been to a rendevous yet. As a matter of fact I don't even know if there are any close to where I live. Anyway if anyone runs across some of these kind of bags I would really appreciate it if they would let me know.

Some are scotish n some french made, most I've seen are mildly used, try the Log Cabin Shop in Ohio, if they don't have them they might know where you can get some. Worth a shot anyway

You don't really need a canvas bucket for rendezvous. It's OK to use, but that is what you are thinking of doing, old fashioned galvanized buckets would work. I use two hand thrown pottery jugs. I carry them with a yoke across my shoulders that I made out of a branch from a downed tree at a rendezvous that I attended.

If you don't have any period water containers, then you need a big cloth or burlap bag to carry your non-period plastic water containers in from the water source to your camp.

Many Klatch

Many Klatch said:
You don't really need a canvas bucket for rendezvous. It's OK to use, but that is what you are thinking of doing, old fashioned galvanized buckets would work. I use two hand thrown pottery jugs. I carry them with a yoke across my shoulders that I made out of a branch from a downed tree at a rendezvous that I attended.

If you don't have any period water containers, then you need a big cloth or burlap bag to carry your non-period plastic water containers in from the water source to your camp.

Many Klatch

The water bags I'm wanting are like a clothe canteen, not a bucket. I have a clothe bucket that we use to wash in when we camp. These bags have a spout in one end usually with a cork stopper. They keep water cold through evaporation. Most of the ones I've seen have the brand name of "Desert" on them and have "genuine scottish flax" printed on them also.

Thanks, Warren

OH, now I know what you are talking about. We used to buy those back in the 50's and 60's when traveling out in the deserts. Every tourist car had one hanging on the grill.

Many Klatch

Thanks for the link Bubba, that's exactly what I'm talking about. And your right about the "spendy" part too! I had no idea they would be that high dollar and they have a 2 piece minimum order. That's over a $100.00 without shipping. I think I'll keep looking.

Thanks, Warren

Army/Navy store used to carry them before closin down for 15 bux or so !
I too remember them when we went huntin the bag hung off the side mirror and was always cool for a drink !

OH, now I know what you are talking about. We used to buy those back in the 50's and 60's when traveling out in the deserts. Every tourist car had one hanging on the grill.

Yep, I remember those water bags. Back in the early 50's when I was a youngster me and a couple buddy's took off for Arizona from Michigan in my old Hudson Hornet. When we got in dessert country everyone had a canvas water bag hanging from the hood ornament of their car.

That was some trip, we ran short of money and had to eat raw field corn...among other things :barf: Gasoline back then I think was less than .20 a gallon...

Man, I didn't know those were still around. Brings back some fond memories of my misspent youth! I remember having one on the front of our old green Studebaker when dad would take us for drives in the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts while he was stationed in California during the unpleasantness in Korea.

That was some trip, we ran short of money and had to eat raw field corn...among other things
Did you have lots of toilet paper, enough of that raw corn can bring on unpleasant results. :grin:

Thanks Bryan. I had seen those but was hoping for something a little more affordable.

Warren :v

Back