• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flat faced jags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That has been debated for a long time, which is better, no idea, I like cupped..

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you look at the TOW brass button jags? I am pretty sure that they are flat. At least the button jags that I have are all flat.

Button jags are of limited use, since the patch doesn't have anywhere to go once wrapped around the little squatty button - in contrast to other jags having long, tapered necks.

The few button jags I have work with a little brass extension/adaptor that ToTW sells - actually makes them worth having.

AZbpBurner said:
He thinks the flat surface will assist in removing more accumulated crud from the breechplug face.

He may well think that, but that's not what a jag is for. All a jag can do is run the patch up and down and press it flat against the breech. But patting down the breech with a cleaning patch is a pretty painful way of cleaning it, and trying to optimize the efficiency of the "pat" is the wrong approach. For cleaning the breech you need something that can rub a patch forcefully against it - and that's what a breech scraper is for.

I run the breech scraper down and twist it around to loosen as much of the crud as possible. I do this after brushing the grooves but before using any liquid in the barrel, so I can just dump the scraped-off fouling out the barrel. Then I continue cleaning as normal.

When I get to the point of deep cleaning the breech, I take a wet patch or two and wad them up and run them down the barrel in front of the breech scraper and twist them around - the face of the scraper presses the wad-o-patch firmly against the breech face and the blade grabs hold enough to turn it efficiently. Then I run my tow worm down to fetch the patches back up. I repeat until they come up clean. On my flintlock with the coned vent liner this will also clean that coned area out. Doing this will get the breechplug as spotless as the barrel itself.

Back