• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash hole differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a second T/C flintlock rifle. I noticed the flash hole / vent liner is different than my first one (top). Any knowledge on either of these? I have not shot the recently acquired one yet but couldn't help to notice the difference here. Thanks for looking and any feedback.
2.jpeg

The second rifle appears to have had the vent liner installed after market or by the customer. The hole in the top one looks, to my eyes, too large.

I have found the Allen wrench liner looks huge in pictures but the actual vent hole is the same size as the screw-in liner unless the hole has been drilled out. I put an L&R lock on this one.

finished Renegads 001.JPG

The slotted one is the same as the one supplied on my TC in 1975. The allen head is also a good way to do it. I have a rifle like that and it works great.

The Allen head touch hole liner is a replacement for the original T/C touch hole liner. The differences are subtle and performance will be nearly identical. As everyone above has stated, there is nothing to raise concerns. The Allen head will be a bit easier to remove when the time comes to replace the touch hole liner. For the most part, there is no need to remove a touch hole liner unless the touch hole is burned out to be be too large and accuracy on target is gone.

Back