• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash cup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m working on a Scout Carbine kit and I don’t like the look of the flash cup. I thought about making one that looks nicer. I did a search on the forum and looked at many photos on the internet.

Some comments on the forum say that they removed them and it presented no problem. Others said that they left them on as it kept the stock from getting dirty with fouling. Others said that it is a safety issue.

Questions: If I make one for safety sake, is it okay to just have a barrier between the nipple and facing rearward? I don’t like the look of a little bowl sitting there.

If I leave it off completely (many photos of older percussion rifles didn’t have one) , should I fit a washer under the nipple to take up the space that the cup had Occupied?

Any photos or links to nicer looking options would also be appreciated.

There is no need for a washer if you remove the cup. If you make one that suits your eye and it does what you think it should then post a photo. I don’t use them as I find them a pain to clean.

I've never had a flash cup on any BP rifle I've owned. Never had issues with cleaning as years of military service have taught me to be thorough. Be interesting to see what you decide so, if making one, definitely post up some pics! :thumb:

I tried using flash cups on two of my Parker-Hales mainly to keep my fingers from getting burned by cap sparks. I took it off my .451 Volunteer and will most likely take the flash cup off my P53. They're more hassle then their worth and if the stock gets burned from 1000s of caps popping then I'll consider it character

They make capping harder, removal of the nipple harder, they dent up easily , and if you have a cap lock firearm with a stock so expensive or pretty it can't be exposed to cap spark then probably just don't shoot it.

The people who buy my guns after I die will have to deal with cap burn on the wood of my percussion rifles 😀

Back