• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flame Maple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody have any pics of what would be considered flame maple? I just purchased a rifle, sight unseen, and it was described as real pretty with flame maple. This isn't the first rifle I purchased from this gent, the first two were better than described, and I have no reason to believe this will be any different.

Its a .45 cal, w/44" Colerain B weight barrel, deluxe Siler lock and brass hardware. I'll know what it looks like next week, I just wondered if anybody had any pics. Thanks.

Here is a guitar done in "flame maple", which is, at least in my understanding, just a (form) of curly maple.

There is also a flame birch which looks sharp.

This would be a high grade on this guitar - the small rectangular inlay is more of what I would consider "quilted" maple than flame.

f0d90010.jpg

Thanks, galamb. I think I'm going to like that.

Bn, it may take a little bit, but I'm sure I can get my tech dept(wife), to help with a pic.

Do you think there is any chance I can wait til Christmas to open the box? :grin:

OK - i'll admit my ignorance:

question for the wood guys out there - what (if anything) is the difference between tiger stripe maple, flame maple, and fiddleback maple?

thanks in advance!

That's what I meant by hassle, I know you're dependent on another department chief to handle technology issues. :wink:

:haha:

And, no, I don't think you can wait till Christmas. Nor do I think you should.

MSW said:
OK - i'll admit my ignorance:

question for the wood guys out there - what (if anything) is the difference between tiger stripe maple, flame maple, and fiddleback maple?

thanks in advance!

The same difference between a CM4, CM5, CM6, CM7 and "presentation" grade rating of the "curl".

"Some GUY" says this is CM5 curly maple. This "other guy" looks at the piece and says it's a piece of grade 4 Tiger Maple. Who is correct? There is no "standardized rating system".

Maple is loosely grouped into clear and curly.

It's once you get into "curly" that you hear "tiger" (probably came about to describe curl that looked like tiger stripes), "flame" (wavy curls that have a flame like appearance), "quilted" (you gotta google that one, don't even know how to begin to describe it, but it does look awesome) etc

Galamb, thanks ... I though that it was pretty much what you describe ... pretty subjective. I've seem quiting in the woodworking magazines ... wow- -that stuff does look tremendous on furniture (although I don't think it would look good as a stock), but it sure is pretty and costs, I'm sure, a zillion dollars a board foot.

Dunlaps has some maple stocks that you can spend $2000 on if you want to. They don't sell that many in that price point.

Latest posts

Back