• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fitting stock to shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I saw somewhere online a post relating how to take measurements of a shooter and convert that into stock dimensions. As I recall five measurements are taken from the shooter, and these converted to length of pull, cast-off and so on.

I can't find that post on any forum now and I need it. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

I have these in my notes from gunsmith school and will look them up tomorrow. Someone may post them before then and save me the typing!

Recently I saw somewhere online a post relating how to take measurements of a shooter and convert that into stock dimensions. As I recall five measurements are taken from the shooter, and these converted to length of pull, cast-off and so on.

I can't find that post on any forum now and I need it. Can any of you point me in the right direction?
All very important with modern shotguns. Completely irrelevant with muzzleloading rifles.

For me the drop is the most important, I use a simple "try stock" to get my exact measurement. I can shoulder one of my rifles with my eyes closed, open my eyes and my sights will be in perfect alignment. The cast off I put in some of my guns doesn't seem to matter much, the length of pull just needs to be in the ball park and changes with how much clothing I wear in cold weather.

My try stock; don't laugh, it works for drop and length of pull.

try stock.jpg

try stock hinge.jpg

At 5'11" I can't even reach a trigger at 14 1/4 to 14 1/2. The old rule of measuring pull by measuring from the crook of your elbow to your trigger finger joint is 16 1/2" on me. That ain't going to work.

Measure a Remington 1100, or draw a tracing. Make drop at comb where the cheek contacts, match that dimension and slope at that point. Match the drop at heel, angle of buttplate, and LOP. Neutral cast, neutral toe. It will fit anyone well enough.

Modern stocks fit different than ML stocks. It will not work out well. For off hand shooting with a long barrel you want a shorter stock than you would with a modern shotgun. I made this mistake for myself.

I am 5'10". I made my first complicated LR with a stock length as a modern shot gun would be, 14 3/8". IT turned out much longer than fits me. During the build it seemed good. Later I found that I hate it, I never shoot it. The trigger reach is much to long. I can not shorten it due to the patch box, carving and cheekpiece. IT feels very muzzle heavy.

For me, a pull of 13 1/2" is about perfect for me on a LR. For best comfort and least strain I want my right arm between the shoulder and elbow to be 90* from the centerline of the stock as viewed from above. If I have to reach further than that I can not do so comfortably. Using a good strong off hand position the rifle is laid across the chest. It is not pointed out and away from the chest. I can not make my arms from shoulder to elbow go past 90* from parallel to my chest. That limits stock length.

IF you are shooting a long stock and it feels OK check you position. You probably have a shotgun type position where the gun is facing away from the chest. Instead you want it way over to the left as is a good off hand target position.

For off hand shooting shorter is better. First you will not be straining to reach the trigger. Second, it moves the rifle rearward, that puts your left hand closer the center of gravity. IT will be less muzzle heavy. You will be able to hold it steadier for a longer period of time. Yet you get the benefit of a long barrel which has a lot of momentum to resist the wobbles.

Hope that makes sense, basically shotguns are used differently than a ML rifle, the stock dimensions do not translate.

Last edited:
That is really the facts of the matter. But he asked for numbers so that’s what I gave. When I watch some one try to shoot a muzzleloader like it was an AR I have to smile. Especially a crescent butt plate! :D

That is really the facts of the matter. But he asked for numbers so that’s what I gave. When I watch some one try to shoot a muzzleloader like it was an AR I have to smile. Especially a crescent butt plate! :D

Now I'm smiling. I FOUND IT!

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20014.msg189215#msg189215
I had to dive so deep to find it I almost ran out of breath.

I do think stock fit is relevant. I have two modern rifles I can shoulder with eyes closed, and when I open my eyes the sights are perfectly aligned, all others I need to fit myself to.

At 5-10 I use 13-1/2" or I can't shou;der the rifle tight. Drop at comb are measurements from a rifle that allows sight alignment without searching. Measured from a modern shotgun.
I sold my TC Hawken because it never fit. Made for the Anonocki Iguess.
You have to figure in hunting clothes.

Your rifle stock should fit you as well as your shotgun.
When shooting running game animals. Like bird upland game shooting. You will understand it.

I'm a little over 6'. In Alaska a 13 1/2" LOP fit just right. Here in Arizona 14" or a little more fits. It's a matter of weather. That 14" LOP becomes more like 15" when you add long underwear, a heavy shirt, a coat, and maybe a daypack.

So no gun builder back in the day. Built a gun to fit the buyer...? I've handled a lot of old Kentucky's. I can say they were NOT all the same lop....just saying

Latest posts

Back