• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time pulling a PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendjoseph

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have to pull the ball out of my Renegade today. I have never done it before. Anyone got any pointers for a newbie?

OK...I'll start:
What gear do you have for pulling a ball..???
Tell us what you have to work with and it will be a lot more productive discussion.

First thing, remove the cap or clean out the pan. Then put some cleaning solution or oil down the barrel to make the cloth patch slide on the barrel easier. Wait a bit. Second carefully slide the screw puller down the barrel and engage the ball. It helps if the screw puller has a brass ring around it to keep the screw from wedging in between the rifling and the ball. Gently pull the ball out. If you have a T-handled range rod it helps to wedge the handle in the rafters and pull down. If not you may need someone to help pull the gun and range rod apart. If I am doing this in my workshop I put the rod in a vise and put my foot on the vise.

Pull gently, yanking will cause the screw to pull loose. A couple of pullouts and the hole will be too big to catch the screw anymore.

I often have problems with the screw pulling loose from the ball. If you can hit the same spot when you reinsert the screw, it may go in deeper and hold the second time. I have found that it is handy to have 3 sizes of screw on hand. Small to start, if that pulls out a bigger screw that usually does the job, if that pulls out I have some "lag screw" sized screws that will do the job.

BTW, make sure that the tip of the rod is securely fastened to the rod. Nothing worse than having a stuck ball with a screw and a brass tip stuck in it. In that case you have to debreach the barrel and push out the load.

I just shoot it out ,,then you can recover the ball and clean the rifle.. I have pulled balls in the past ,,now I just cut to the chase and shoot it out..Looking at North Windham there are many places to shoot the rifle,, either way you have to clean it more fun to shoot than pull ,, !!!!

I agree, if you can shoot it out, do that. Just remove your nipple and push powder into the breech as best you can, small grained powder works best..i use 3F but have heard of folks grinding up 2F ( never done this). Take it outside and shoot. Hopefully it will dislodge the ball.

When i used a Ball Puller i would really recommend a metal range rod, good quality fiberglass would be ok maybe but i'd stay away from wood. As mentioned, breaking off the range rod or puller in the barrel becomes quite a mess.

I seat the screw tipped puller into the ball the same way i seat a load, allowing the screw to dig in to the lead a bit, then i screw it in and gingerly pull the ball. I've had success with both methods but really recommend trying VERY hard :doh:
to never allow the issue to occur. Is almost unavoidable sometimes (falling in a creek and getting the powder soaked etc.), but man do i try hard to allow it to never occur in the first place.

Vomir le Chien said:
I just shoot it out ,,then you can recover the ball and clean the rifle.. I have pulled balls in the past ,,now I just cut to the chase and shoot it out..Looking at North Windham there are many places to shoot the rifle,, either way you have to clean it more fun to shoot than pull ,, !!!!

Yep remove the nipple and sprinkle in some 4f replace and fire.
if necessary repeat

Track of the Wolf sells one of the best Ball Pullers I`ve used. They have a Caliber size bore guide and a tapered pointed screw that really holds.

If ya tried to pull and didn't get out make SURE you reseat the ball before shooting out. If its got a full load and its off the powder and ya shoot it out ya may not have a good barrel when done.

If you have access to a air compressor, just remove the nipple and blow it out. Point the gun in a safe direction. This is the easiest and safest way to remove a ball/patch without any harm to your barrel or rifling. If at the range, use a compressed CO2 ball discharger to blow the ball out. They can be purchased through several outlets, including Log Cabin Shop on the internet.

bendjoseph said:
I have to pull the ball out of my Renegade today. I have never done it before. Anyone got any pointers for a newbie?

Why are you pulling the bullet?

That would have a lot as to what I would do.
Wrong powder, too much powder, no powder, other?

William Alexander

Assuming you can't shoot it out for some reason, and you don't have an air compressor or CO2 discharger:

I always drown the powder with water or powder solvent before I pull a ball, just to be safe. Use a range rod instead of your ramrod if you have one. Give the rod a light rap with a mallet to get the screw to bite, then screw it in a few turns, and pull it out. Unless you have a really tight patch/ball combo, it shouldn't be extremely difficult.

I didn't want it clean it if I didn't have to. I gave it a good try, but I ended up pulling the trigger instead. That seemed easier :)

Will a CO2 discharger work with a conventionally drilled (ie no liner) flint touchhole?

Smollett

I use a sectioned AR15 rod with a wood screw threaded for the rod . Pour olive oil down the bore,screw the rod onto the ball. Vise grips help....Put the end of THE ROD in the vise, and tug on the rifle. Usually comes right out. Leave the rod assembled for next time. :blah: it's easier than explaining the KAROOM! in the basement....

There's no reason it wouldn't work as well with a drilled vent hole than it does with a liner installed.

The flintlocks liner is not removed before using the CO2 discharger.

Pulling a ball is not that difficult if you have a solid brass or steel rangerod with a substantial fixed handle. I do it all the time.
My ball screw has a brass collar that keeps it centered in the bore and my stainless steel rangerod has a brass bore guide. I put the rod down the bore until about a foot short of the ball and then just drop it the rest of the way. The weight of the rod starts the screw into the ball. Then I push down while turning the rod a few times to fully engage the screw into the lead.
If the bore was clean to start with, the ball will usually pull real easy, I can hold the rod in one hand and the barrel in the other and just pull it out.
If the bore was dirty it takes more effort. I have had to either hold the rod handle between my feet, get a helper, or use an overhead hook or the groove between two picnic table boards to get the ball moving.

If the situation is such that you can and do choose to shoot the ball out, make absolutely certain that the ball is seated on any powder charge. It makes no difference if you have a small charge of powder or a regular full charge, the ball MUST be seated on the powder before firing the gun to dislodge the ball. Not seating the ball makes your rifle simply a pipe bomb. The damage caused by firing a rifle with the ball not seated can range anywhere from a barrel with a bulge in it to a barrel that completely blows up. In the case of a complete blow up, you may loose your hand or your life. Anyone standing near by is subject to injury or death, too. Seat the ball before firing the gun.

The CO2 dischargers are worth their weight in gold. They work on any vent, but you might have to remove the lock to fit it squarely, depending on your gun. Walmart sells CO2 cartridges in a 40-pack for $25. I still keep a threaded ball puller with me, in case I forget to restock my shooting bag with a few.

Latest posts

Back