• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out with the 54.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMURPHY317

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The weather finally settled down enough to get out to the range on Tuesday. The primary objective was to get my 14 year old son out to try the 54cal Bobcat I got for him last month. I shot the first 2 PRB's to make sure it was working correctly and was happy it shot near POA at 25 yards.

After that my son wanted to try his hand at both loading and shooting it. I have to say, both he and the rifle did very well for their first time out. He had two 2 shot groups that were touching and out of his first 6 to 8 shots, most were within a 3 inch pattern.

I finally got a chance to shoot it again and tried it at 50 yards with a 3x5 card (AKA competition target). The first shot hit an inch below center, hey just 2 more a little higher and I might have a keeper to send in. Alas, it was not to be. The next 2 were centered verticaly but off the card to the right. I guess I'll blame it on the 15mph gusting wind that started blowing about the time I started shooting at the card.

Between the two of us we shot about 20 to 25 rounds through the 54 and it did a fine job for a first time out. The last shot of the session I tried a 385 Plains bullet. It fit tight loading at the muzzle but nearly slide down on its own after about 4 inches. At 50 yards it printed with in an inch of POA. I was a happy camper.

I have a .54 caliber Mountain Stalker which was Bass Pro's Bobcat. They are a great shooting rifle. I have deer hunted with it and it worked perfect. If you find the recoil a little more then you like, take the back butt plate off, stuff a rag down the inside hollow stock and I did a double vaccumn seal bag of #4 buckshot which I could form to fit the inside of the stock. I shoved that in there and then another small rag and replaced the butt stock. It sure took the bit out of the heavy loads.

My hunting load is 80 grains of Triple Se7en a wonderwad and a patched roundball. It really has some recoil, but it sure knocks a deer for a loop...

Good luck with your rifle...

Latest posts

Back