• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first shots with store bought Swiss powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the other day one of you helpful gentlemen posted that Graf's was selling powder with no shipping and HazMat charges.
for the last 60+ years i have only ever shot my stuff whipped up in the kitchen .
Well, due to a serious bout of laziness and lack of gumption i decided to give some Swiss a try.
found it to be very slightly faster than my witches brew, and accuracy was close. (hard to tell because i am a lousy shot).
but............ when it came to clean up, i got hooked!
2 patches soaked with window cleaner, three patches with alcohol , and 2 patches dry. what's not to like. thinking of getting some more.

It's good I have a few pounds at the house in reserve, it's a bit more expensive. For the amount of shooting I do I think I will stick with my remaining supply of GOEX and Schuetzen FFF, plus my guns respond well to it. For folks that just hunt and plink, paying a little more for what you like isn't a bad thing.

At least you did not go do anything crazy like buy some of those fancy swaged balls.

At least you did not go do anything crazy like buy some of those fancy swaged balls.
i cannot tell a lie, and i have never cut down a cherry tree either.
in this most holy of scientific endeavors, one must have controls to compare your efforts to. that and i am getting lazier by the minute.

Attachments

• 20230707_202913.jpg
    20230707_202913.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
when it came to clean up, i got hooked!
2 patches soaked with window cleaner, three patches with alcohol , and 2 patches dry. what's not to like. thinking of getting some more.
Amen brother...!!
Swiss ..then Schüetzen usually takes me 5-6 minutes per gun.
Goex is the worse. I had to spend 20-25 minutes cleaning each gun.
I still have some Goex but quit using it because of that.

Come on then ...which grade/size....hmmm?
fffg and ffffg . i mainly bought these to compare with my home brew. no way of really measuring the granule size but eyeballing is good enough for me. will try each in my 11gauge with square loads just for giggles. the constant searching for new info and experience is what is keeping me upright.
and as forgetful as i am getting, yesterdays experiment is new today!!

fffg and ffffg . i mainly bought these to compare with my home brew. no way of really measuring the granule size but eyeballing is good enough for me. will try each in my 11gauge with square loads just for giggles. the constant searching for new info and experience is what is keeping me upright.
and as forgetful as i am getting, yesterdays experiment is new today!!
Good man. I knew I could rely on you.
Sincere best wishes my friend.

Latest posts

Back