• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first percussion roundball deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a cheap $49.00 CVA bobcat to play around with as I have only used an inline for hunting. Well after shooting the thing at the range the thing is increadible at 50 yard. Must have recieved a magic barrel or something. Well I set out tonight with it for the first time and piled up behind a downed tree with the wind in my favor looking at a nice deer trail. I cleared a shooting hole in the brush and with about 20 minutes left to hunt a nice doe showed up to make my evening. shot her in the boiler room and was very impressed with the results.
I have been lurking for some time and I want to build a gun over the winter and this little venture has just added fuel to the fire. :grin:

Chow down on some venison country style with gravy and smashed taters to toss into the boiler room, that'll work aa fuel for the fire. :v

Good going! Wait till you're munching on some backstrap taken with your first flintlock!! :hatsoff:

Welcome Pilgrim, and congratulations.

I know how you feel.

:hatsoff:

bramble

Welcome and congratulations on your deer. You are in the correct forum if you want to build yourself a winter project. These folks here are amazingly helpful and you may learn more than you ever knew was available. I consider it to be one of the highlights of the sport to be able to learn from all of these forum members. So good luck, and WELCOME! :thumbsup:

Congratulations. I just shot my first one Sat with my BC, have two, and a panther. I was using it becuase it is so light, I have guns that will out shoot it, but a lot heavier.I am going to shoot my other one some more to see if it shoots better. We have 6 more days to hunt. dilly

Hello,

being from GE I have to learn a few special vocabularies here in the forum, but the guys are very helpful, better than in any forum in GE. Please tell me what the boiler room is? Is the the part where the lounge, heart and so on is?

Greeting from Bavaria, GE

Kerr: The " Boiler Room " is old American slang for the heart and lung area. You had it right. Please forgive all of us when we forget that not everyone who is reading this has been raised in the USA, and is used to thousands of slang words, phrases, and idioms. We have the same trouble trying to understand other languages, and no Dictionary will possibly teach you all the slang used in various regions. Keep on asking, anytime any of us say something that you don't understand. I marvel at how well you do write Englsh.

Paul,

thanks for the flowers, we would say in GE. I'm always askin´g if I don't understand anything. By the way I find it very nice to read those slang words. For me using slang is a form of living the own culture. It would be bad if everyone would talk and write as it is printed in a dictionary. We in GE don't do so, too. We have many slangs for example bavarian.
My English is a mixture of school, reading expiriences and being togehther with members of the US-Army at my time of 12 years in the German Armed Forces.

Kirr: Years ago, right after I left the Public Defender's staff, and took a job with a law firm that did property law, and corporate law, and hired me only to do the litigation that occasionally came into the firm from clients, and their relatives, I was walking back to my office from our local courthouse when two African American men passed me in a parking lot. One man was bragging loudly,
about something I could not hear. The other man then said, in a very loud voice, " Dude, the sound in my ride is mo betta than the sound in your crib!" I understood exactly what he was saying, from my days as an Ass't public defender, but I also knew tha the very proper, religious lady who worked as a secretary in the office, and never associated with " Those people ", would probably not have a clue. She didn't. ( Translation: "Friend, the Stereo System I have in my automobile is more expensive and gives out a better quality and volume of sound, than the stereo you have in your own home!") :hmm: :shocked2:

I'll say one thing, your English is far ahead of my German. I'd hate to even try it in writing! In fact, one of the most frustrating afternoons I ever spent was trying to explain the English language and American football to four Italians!! :rotf:

I can imagine that, because the Italians similar to the french are very unwilling to learn and speak English. It is the pronunciation of the language which is different to their language and so they don't like it. For example the Germans are very unlike to learn french.

Kirrmeister,
In high shool I had 2 years of German and in college I had 4 years and still wasn't as proficient as you are in English. Sadly that was in the mid 60's and I've gotten pretty rusty.

My wife's relatives (non English speaking older Germans) visited America about 15 years ago and one gentleman fought under Rommel. I wasn't able to converse with him as I would have liked to and regretted letting that golden moment slip away.

Practice, practice, practice.

Kirrmeister said:
I can imagine that, because the Italians similar to the french are very unwilling to learn and speak English. It is the pronunciation of the language which is different to their language and so they don't like it. For example the Germans are very unlike to learn french.

I'm sure that's true. These particular folks spoke English rather well but were confused about certain aspects of pronunciation, etc. Mostly odd things like why "taco" and "waco" aren't pronounced similarly? What's with "to", "too" and "two"? As for football and the difference between "red dog" and "red shirt"....

You can't sell the CVA short. I have 2 .50's, a Frontier Hawken and a Bobcat. Both shoot good, the Hawken will hold 2" groups at 50yds, or better off a rest. I have had good days and shot 1" groups. Bobcat isn't quite as good, but I haven't shot it much. I'm going to re-finish the Hawken and redo it for a more PC look. I've also got the Hawken pistol .50 I built from a kit, shoots good also. Oh, yeah I've taken deer with the Hawken, unfortunately not this year as could not get into woods due to bad ankle/achilles tendon. But wild hog season is open until Feb, so may get a shot off yet.

Latest posts

Back