• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First loser

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to our ML clayshoot yesterday and discovered I was in a shoot off for the annual percussion competition I did back in September. I had fluked a 22/25 and Rick must have been having a bad day when he shot it last month because Rick always wins and he had only managed to equal me.

I could see this was going to be embarrassing because I was holding this beautifully preserved Viennese 13g double while Rick has this junky old 12g single which looks like he keeps it hanging over the barn door for the rest of the year. I knew he was going to wipe the floor with me, I couldn't possibly win.

pirko.jpg

We were shooting 5 birds off 3 stands, winner takes gold. I realised that I couldn't out shoot him so I decided to try and put him off, saying how he couldn't possibly miss, murmuring the nunc dimitis while he took his shot etc. Thought I might have succeeded when he accidentally pulled the trigger before the gun was properly up, he shoots a heavy load, must have bruised him good. But all to no avail, I lost by 3 birds. Rick won, I was first of the losers :idunno: :hatsoff:

No complaints though, good times :thumbsup:

Some days chicken and some days feathers. But any day at the range is a good one

There was one moment when Rick had to go and fill up the trap on top of the driven clay tower. He left his gun resting against a tree and it fell over. Loaded but not capped.

I saw it was pointing at the loading benches so I turned it around to point safe. I thought about accidentally treading on it then decided just to tell him I might have trodden on it and he should make sure it was still straight.

He missed that one :rotf:

Good story. I find that even if I don't win (which is often) I still have a good time just by being with like friends. I also have experienced the fact that some of the ugliest guns often out shoot the finest. Yours is one of the finest I have ever seen.

Squire Robin said:
There was one moment when Rick had to go and fill up the trap on top of the driven clay tower. He left his gun resting against a tree and it fell over. Loaded but not capped.

I saw it was pointing at the loading benches so I turned it around to point safe. I thought about accidentally treading on it then decided just to tell him I might have trodden on it and he should make sure it was still straight.

He missed that one :rotf:

:applause: you sound like a scoundrel Squire :thumbsup:

Brits.

Beautiful gun indeed. Interesting trigger configuration. Is that typical for Viennese double trigger shotguns, or is that a "custom" feature? :hmm:
Fuzzy Sites

Squire Robin said:
...I was first of the losers
Given the awful way you treat your guns that is the way I always, and always will, think of you Brave Sir Robin.

Yet, as our illustrious President would say in Austrian: Ich gestehe, das ist ein sehr schönes Gewehr.

Russell Doran said:
Interesting trigger configuration. Is that typical for Viennese double trigger shotguns

Wish I had a pile of Viennese guns to compare it with but this is the only one I have :idunno:

Stub front triggers are more of a flint than percussion thing in England. Egg used them back in his pillar fronted trigger bow days, could be a French thing he brought over from Paris??? :idunno:

Alden said:
Given the awful way you treat your guns that is the way I always, and always will, think of you Brave Sir Robin.

Why do you dress me in borrowed robes? :youcrazy:

Robin, methinks I would be shooting in white cotton museum gloves if I was shooting that piece. WOW!
Can you tell us anything about Rick's gun, especially maker and date? Always interested in muzzleloading shotguns.

BillinOregon said:
Can you tell us anything about Rick's gun, especially maker and date?

Rick has a strange shooting style. He is ex military and seems to be impervious to pain. Slashed his hand open to the bone the the other day, carried on regardless despite looking a bit like a Hallow'een zombie.

His technique is, "fill the sky with lead". If his gun misfires he falls over forwards. I reckon he must be overbalancing in to the shot and trusting the recoil to put him back on his feet. The required load would damage mere mortals like me, but he doesn't seem to feel it.

Maybe he could be beaten by copying his gun and style but I might need Novacaine injections in to my shoulder joint. If I can remember I will casually wander over and have a look at his gun, must remember to take my specs.

Greetings Robin and what a wonderful old shotgun you have there! Your topic title "First Loser" kind of pegs you as being a bit of a pessimist. In your bout with Rick, the headlines should read Robin finishes in tight second while Rick comes in second to last. :applause:

Stumpkiller said:
Some of us prefer to sacrifice trophys for style.

Beautiful piece, Squire.

Truer words were never spoken. Personally, I wouldn't take that gun out for more than it's periodic test drive...

Back