• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
This year I really want to challenge myself in skill vs technology. I decided to do 100% primitive this year. I had @ColonialRifleSmith aka Rick Baker build me a 20 gauge trade gun for turkey season.
I set out yesterday on the season opener. My buddy thought I was crazy for using the trade gun having numerous high dollar modern guns in the safe. None the less I know the area well and know where they roost typically. I set out well before dark slipped into the pinch point and waited. Soon the owls started hooting and there were 4 gobblers sounding off about 100 yards away on neighbors property. We communicated back and forth for 20 minutes before they flew down. Once on the ground they became silent. I purred and clucked ever so often as I could still see them working up the ridge away from me. The big boss Tom was strutting his stuff and trying to scare the other males away from hens. About that time off to my left I caught 2 doe feeding my way. They came to with 10 yards on me, but never seen me due to being hidden between a large tree and a large rock that hide me. I was limited on my movement and ability to call due to deer in my lap. Up on the ridge the boss Tom was still doing his love dance, then ended up going after another of his buddies who tried to shake his stuff for the ladies. The defeated gobbler had had enough and came down the ridge right to the decoys gobbling his head off. He got to within range but I couldn’t move because the deer were on top of me. Finally the Tom went behind a tree giving me time to shoulder the smoothbore. Once he stepped out he was at 12 yards full strut and I eased back on the trigger. The silence breaks in a thunderous roar. I can’t see anything from the smoke cloud but can hear him flopping. I jump up run over and there he was. It was a memory I won’t soon forget. My first flintlock primitive turkey. My buddy that that thought i was crazy was a believer now and thought it was awesome.
I'd like to thank a few people. @ColonialRifleSmith for building me the gun to my exact specs on a short time line and getting it to me before the season to develop a load. @Skychief for the basis of the starting point for the settle on load using his loading method which is famous. Also the @blackpowdermaniacshooter for all his videos that got me wanting to own a smoothbore. And heck everyone on here that motivated me and who's information I learned from.

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5404.jpeg
    IMG_5404.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well done sir! Are you using a cover scent to keep the deer calm?
No I just stay quiet and still. Now I was wearing my hunting clothes I always spray with earth scented scent killer. My clothes had it on them because u could smell it when I put them on- but I didn’t spray any on them hunting turkeys. This is private property so deer aren't pressured much.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a fine hunt and a tale well told. My first flintlock turkey was the beat hunt ever, made more special my using the Fusil I built. My thanks for my interest in flintlocks goes way back to Walt Disney's "Davy Crockett-King of the Wild Frontier." I even built a full-size plastic model of a flintlock rifle as a boy.

Congratulations sir. I to shot my first smoothbore muzzleloader bird today. All though I did use a newer version 1870's double barrel percussion 12ga. with jug choke. Special thanks to a member that sold me the original gun and thank you to Old Rust that sold me the barrel set that I had choked and also to Kentucky Charliec (Eastern Sky Arms) for choking as well. 1 1/8 oz my volume of 3f with 1 1/4oz of lead #5

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations sir. I to shot my first smoothbore muzzleloader bird today. All though I did use a newer version 1870's double barrel percussion 12ga. with jug choke. Special thanks to a member that sold me the original gun and thank you to Old Rust that sold me the barrel set that I had choked and also to Kentucky Charliec (Eastern Sky Arms) for choking as well. 1 1/8 oz my volume of 3f with 1 1/4oz of lead #5
Well done sir thats a long beard on tommy tom.

Thanks for the kind words Johnny. Ain't it fun???
Well it defiantly makes it more challenging that's for sure. I will say more time, money and energy went into it. Normally with modern shotgun I'd have dumped it at 35 yards and been done with it. It took much more patience and effort to get him to close that last 20 yards to where i took the shot. My only regret was not trying to film it. Thats for next season goals.
Ask me if its fun again if I have a trophy buck walk off at 75 yards with the same trade gun this fall from not getting a shot. Still will be fun but heartbreaking.

Man I'm having a ball #2 with SxS .Had 3 gobbling this morning before sun up. Sat up about 75 yards from this one. Waited till a hen flew down. Did 2 low tree calls scratch in leaves. 1 min later he flys down at about 30 yards left him walk to about 25 knocked him down smoke cleared he stood up and I gave him the other barrel. 1 1/8 of 3f and 1 1/4 #5 lead

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_064024908.jpg
    IMG_20240417_064024908.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Man I'm having a ball #2 with SxS .Had 3 gobbling this morning before sun up. Sat up about 75 yards from this one. Waited till a hen flew down. Did 2 low tree calls scratch in leaves. 1 min later he flys down at about 30 yards left him walk to about 25 knocked him down smoke cleared he stood up and I gave him the other barrel. 1 1/8 of 3f and 1 1/4 #5 lead
Anddddddd he's down for the count..... Well done sir

Back