• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flint deer+Larger replacment lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier96

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy all, been awhile since i posted, but i have been around trying to soak up knowledge. As some of you may know i bought a traditions Kentucky flintlock last winter. It's always been a dream of mine to own a flintlock rifle, its also always been a dream to hunt with one. I've been hunting since i was a kid with all sorts of weapons and, im proud to say i finally scratched one off the bucket list and got a deer with a flint lock. It was a great experience i hope to repeat again and again, harvesting a deer like my ancestors did 200 years ago.

While i have you here i have a question too. Has anyone, or does anyone know, if its possible to replace the lock on a traditions Kentucky long rifle for a larger one? 5 years ago i broke my wrist in a farming accident (right wrist, you'll never guess which hand is my dominant one lol), im still living with the consequences today and up until recently its made bow hunting pretty much impossible. Another thing its made difficult is fumbling around with the small flints my rifle uses. If i could get a larger lock thus larger flints it would make my life a lot easier. Thanks guys, and heres a picture of my deer!

Attachments

• 20211208_184719_HDR.jpg
    20211208_184719_HDR.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 202
Congrats on the nice buck. I can't comment on the larger lock, so I will let the more knowledgeable folks reply.

Nice buck, congratulations!

You might check with L&R locks. I know they make replacement locks for some, not sure about your model.

Have you tried simply using larger flints in the lock you have? If you are currently using 5/8" by 5/8", try a 3/4" by 3/4". You might have to cut a small hole in the leather to get the flint back far enough, but it's worth a shot.
Yeah i tried going up a size, but the corners hit the barrel and the edge of the pan unfortunately

Great deer, am now trying to put traditions Kentucky rifle together. You can try l&r lock with their rpl locks have one on cva mountain rifle was easy to fit used 3/4 flint.
I saw some l&r locks for my rifle on track of the wolf that's good to know thanks.

Yeah i tried going up a size, but the corners hit the barrel and the edge of the pan unfortunately

It is ok to have the flint offset in the jaws so it doesn't hit the barrel. There is no reason it has to be centered, and a lot of "good" locks are purposefully made this way. I doubt the L&R lock is what you are going to want, they are designed to be semi-fits. They are not bigger. If you want to go completely off scale, a jaeger or fowler lock is what you want. I can't even imagine the work required to make one fit on your rifle. Locks aren't cheap either, only a little less than the cost of the barrel.

For the cost of your rifle plus a new lock, you would be more than 1/2 way to the cost of a Jim Kibler colonial rifle.

Since the lock was covered, I will just say that it looks like your wife makes you put your trophies in the garage also. Outstanding animal and great hunt. When we get old, we have our memories. You have a great memory of this hunt. Best of luck next year.

It is ok to have the flint offset in the jaws so it doesn't hit the barrel. There is no reason it has to be centered, and a lot of "good" locks are purposefully made this way. I doubt the L&R lock is what you are going to want, they are designed to be semi-fits. They are not bigger. If you want to go completely off scale, a jaeger or fowler lock is what you want. I can't even imagine the work required to make one fit on your rifle. Locks aren't cheap either, only a little less than the cost of the barrel.

For the cost of your rifle plus a new lock, you would be more than 1/2 way to the cost of a Jim Kibler colonial rifle.
What about the flint hitting the edge of the pan though? Won't it wear them down and break them faster?

If you get a replacement L&R RPL do yourself a favor and send it to Brad or Shane Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading in York, Pa. for a tuning before you even put it in your current CVA. They do wonderful work and the new lock will function terrific! It cost me about $125 including shipping to have it done. The money was well spent! On the advice Of Brad DON"T send it FedEx, they lost my original that didn't make it to their shop! Please send it USPS insured.

Latest posts

Back